🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to use game engines?

Started by
3 comments, last by Rob83 24 years, 9 months ago
It's the other way around. You don't put a game engine into your code... you start with a game engine, and add code until you have a game.

Get the book "Windows Game Programming for Dummies" by Andre LaMothe... should be a pretty good starting point.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
http://www.spin-studios.com

Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
Advertisement
Cheers Mason!

Do I edit the code in the game engine or in my compiler.

Hi -

Yes and no.

All code is edited in the development studio, then compiled into the EXE for your game. The path goes like this:

C++ code ---> OBJ or LIB files ---> EXE

The first arrow is called "compiling" and the second arrow is called "linking."

I haven't had much experience with game engines, but my best guess would be that most are implemented as "libraries" - that is, when you get the game engine (download it, buy it, whatever), you're given a bunch of LIB files. You can use the LIB files in your game by linking them in... but you can't see the code for them. In order to properly use them, you've got to rely on outside documentation that came with them.

The exception to this are the "Open Source" engines... in an open source engine, you get source code.

Hope this helps...

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios
www.spin-studios.com

Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
Can anyone tell me how put/use a game engine into my code as I am a real beginner and can't fing any game programming tutorials anywhere. Could someone please point me in the direction of some tutorials even if it is just to make a tetris clone.

Thanx!!!

Rob: I think your confused about what a game engine is. The game engine is just the game's basic source code. The engine basically handles the games basic sub-systems such as graphics, input, sound, collision detection, etc.

--TheGoop

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement