Advertisement

outlining a branching plot (from Xenallure)

Started by April 05, 2006 09:57 AM
10 comments, last by Fournicolas 18 years, 5 months ago
Thanks [grin] You know, I think that's one of the most profound compliments you can give someone, to say that you trust them to do a tricky thing right.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

As far as I am concerned, working a multiple-character multi-ending story is through 3D. I have tried the 2D approach of flowchart, and it just wouldn't be lisible after two or three choices, since I had taken the approach of saying that EVERY choice, and action had an effect over EVERY character. It means that, at some point, you have to make choices in your design.

If I understand correctly your first example, it could very well be set in terms of BASIC.

If XXX then YYY

Through this way, you can have multiple values for each pivotal point, without it being set in the flowchart.

Let me explain and give examples once again.

Let's say you envision the tournament in Competition field. Things can go a million different ways. You have to consider many different parameters.
1) PC doesn't participate in tournament
2) PC doesn't make it further than first round
3) PC fails during final round
4) PC wins final round

If 1 is true at T=2h00 of play, then, some events cannot occur, such as one character falling irredeemably in love with PC, since PC has not shown action.
If 2 is true, at any time, then some things cannot occur, since the combat prestation is only background noise to main story.
If 3 is true, then
3-1) PC has inflicted less than 50% HP damage to opponent. Outcome is Opponent scorns PC, potential lover sees the PC as weak and feels no attraction towards him, PC sees himself as a weakling with either a grudge against himself for being so weak, and a strong desire to work out as fast as possible, or against the opponent personaly for shaming him in front of everyone, or against the opponent's race, for having unfair advantages (don't ask)
3-2) PC dealt between 50 and 80% HP damage to opponent. Outcome is opponent scorns PC but sees him as potential threat, potential lover sees the PC as attractive, PC sees himself as failing because of the opponent and has a grudge against either the opponent or the entire race
3-3) PC dealt between 80 and 99% damage to opponent, Outcome is opponent has respect for PC, potential lover has a crush on PC for being the underdog, PC sees opponent as a strong and valiant character, holding no grudge against him or his race.

If 4 is true before T=2h00, then every potential lover gets a crush on PC (fan effect), PC feels no contempt against opponent's race, opponent's feels a neverending grudge against PC

Then, what comes about coming events depends on what has happened previously. But this 3D flowchart is only effective if you have a timeline which can be affected by the PC, but also exists without him. Things have to happen at different intervals, meaning that your game still plays, even if PC doesn't move from starting point.

Am I clear?

Yes, it means an incredible amount of creative writing, twice as much proof-reading and double-checking, and approximately a factorial of primary nodes. But the effect is somewhat simpler to code, I believe. Which means that most of the game is an interactive story, with REAL roleplaying. If you have a character that spends his time fighting whoever happens to come his way, he is bound to become unpopular, except with those who do the same. And even though... On the other hand, if he doesn't fight at all, some of the events are blocked to him anayway... If he fights too little, he doesn't win all hearts with the tournament. If he fights too much, he doesn't have time to compete in the tournament, nor interest himself in romanceing...

This way, you have much more power over the overall design,a nd about five times as much work on your slate. But feel happy. By the end, it will all be yours...
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement