🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Winsock sockets.....

Started by
9 comments, last by kalldrex 23 years, 4 months ago
quote: Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor

Of course UO uses TCP/IP!!! You will too! So will everyone else!

TCP/IP is a suite of protocols, one of which is UDP (another of whcih is TCP). I don't know for certain that UO uses UDP, but I bet that it does.

Determining which client to send info too is not a exactly socket issue. In the game you need to determine who is near eachother and who is not, and keep some sort of list around containing who to send updates too.

UO does not use UDP... It uses TCP. If you want to bet --- I'll gladly take your money, if you have any.

I goofed and placed a /IP at the end of TCP - You are correct in what you say about TCP/IP - it is a set or a suite of defined protocols that applications use to connect peer-peer or peer-server.

TCP is one of the protocols. It is a connecion oriented protocol and provide reliability- meaning that verifies data arrives and automatically retransmits segments that do not. It computes checksums to gaurantee uncorrupted data and it sequences numbers to provide ordered data arrival and it provides flow control to make sure that the client does not send more data than the server can process it.

UDP is another protocol. It is connectionless and does not provide any reliability. Does not gaurantee deliver does not validate data, does not sequence numbers to provide ordered data arival and does not care about flow control. It is fast - but it is dependent on the underlying network (the internet in this case) more so than TCP is. Therefore packet loss is alomst gauranteed.

Myself and others have designed there own UDP w/ reliability added. If you going to use UPD over the internet, then you need to have some level of reliability added to the protocol.

As for determining who to send messages to - Magmai is right. You need to determine the proximity of players to events in you games and send out messages to the players who need to be told. There are many different ways of determining who to send messages to. A simple Pythagorean might work for you:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/proof/puzzle/theorem.html
or you may need to do something based on zones - as I said there are several ways that you can use to make this determination.

Game On,

Edited by - Dak Lozar on February 8, 2001 8:48:08 PM
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement