🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New tutorials online

Started by
7 comments, last by lc_overlord 18 years, 1 month ago
I just wanted to make it publicly known that some of the tutorials i have been working on is now online on my site. For those who does not know what im talking about, i will tell you. A few months ago i decided to on my own pick up where NeHe left of and create my own set of tutorials, these tutorial are based on a modified version the nehe basecode and for now they teach stuff like FBO rendering, GlSlang shaders and a few more things, there will be more in the future.
Advertisement
Well i am putting you in my favourites list :)

Nice tutorials and most important unique.

But encountered several problems:
1. i am not familier with fbo so i really dont know what's wrong but "01b: FBO feeedbackbuffer" runs terribly slow , 0.5 FPS

2. glsl.frag has small errors and my ati doesnt want to compile it

This line
gl_FragColor = vec4(sin(pos.x*10),cos(pos.y*10),sin(pos.z*10),0)+vec4(gl_TexCoord[0].xy,0,0);

should look like this

gl_FragColor = vec4(sin(pos.x*10.0),cos(pos.y*10.0),sin(pos.z*10.0),0)+vec4(gl_TexCoord[0].xy,0,0);

But anyway , great work !!!
Great site. Great tuts. I encourage you to upgrade your Visual Studio 6 though.
Quote: Original post by todi1856
1. i am not familier with fbo so i really dont know what's wrong but "01b: FBO feeedbackbuffer" runs terribly slow , 0.5 FPS

Now that depends on the hardware, the Second FBO I'm using uses GL_RGBA16F_ARB, and on older harware it may not run that fast, perhaps if you changed it to GL_RGBA it will run faster, but at the same time you will lose a lot of blending pecision.
On my GF6800ultra it runs at a decent speed.
I never said it would run great on all harware, but perhaps i should make it more clear in the future.

I have updated the fragment shader, but that's what you get when you have multiple non standardized shader compilers, not all will support certain things.

About my VC6, encurage all you want, VC6 works like a charm, though i do have both VC7 and Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition installed, and i might port them in the near future.

Edit: i tested tut 01b again without any framerate limitations (either v sync or sleep()) and this tut runs at like 1k FPS.

[Edited by - lc_overlord on May 5, 2006 7:09:39 AM]
That helped , it looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx :)
excellent!
rating++ to you and to anyone who will write a tutorial in the series [smile]
Shouldn't you be using std::string instead of char * in your code? It's much safer and since you're teaching people with these great tutorials who could be new to programming maybe we should get them using safe code :)

Just a thought. ++ for the great work on doing this.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Quote: Original post by Mike2343
Shouldn't you be using std::string instead of char * in your code? It's much safer and since you're teaching people with these great tutorials who could be new to programming maybe we should get them using safe code :)

Just a thought. ++ for the great work on doing this.

Tanks.

About stings, glShaderSourceARB accepts a null terminated array of bytes and and long as your not messing around with it in an abnormal way a char * is ok to use, though you should use new instead of malloc to prevent memory leaks.
Char * should not be used for any other things other than loading segments of varying size raw data, and do i think this fit's that description fairly well.

If i ever get around to writing some tutorial that use some kind of string management i will probably use a proper string class.

Update: tut 02b is out

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement