🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Good MP Coding book

Started by
10 comments, last by ByteMe95 23 years, 4 months ago
Anyone know any good MP coding books that explain it for pretty much a complete MP newbie? Only DirectX thanks ByteMe95::~ByteMe95() Cerebrum Software
ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()My S(h)ite
Advertisement
Get a book on Winsock or DirectPlay and have at it. Actually there are no books on DirectPlay specifically so for a complete newbie I''d recommend Winsock. As for making an MP game you''ll need to figure out how to do that on your own. There are currently no books on it. Every game is different so there''s no way to write a book that will have all the answers.

I figured out DPlay from the SDK demos and am quite content with what it can do. The only advantage Winsock has is that it''s portable to other OSes. The big disadvantage is that you have to write everything from scratch. With DPlay it''s basically initialize with prewritten routines and you''re ready to go.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

The other disadvantage of DPlay is that what''s going on below the API is fairly undocumented (i.e. packet structure and stuff). Maybe it''s just me, but I want to know what I send across the network down to the last bit. I''m a control freak

cu,
Prefect

---
Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
The undocumented nature of DirectPlay makes security pretty easy to impliment. I have a maximum packet size as well as a check to see if ID numbers match. One of those numbers can''t be changed by the EU and is sent with every packet automatically. All blocked packets are logged with a lot of information telling me exactly why so I can fix any instances where a packet shouldn''t have been blocked.

Ben
This is kind of a weak argument for DPlay though. You could implement something like this yourself. The only real for using DPlay is that you don''t want to do the network stuff yourself...
Though portability, and, to some degree, flexibility of other ways around networks pretty much make up for this IMHO.

cu,
Prefect

---
This is somewhat off the topic but i''m not sure what options I have.

So far I can see CSocket which is MFC and Direct play.. I''m not a big fan of MFC, especially for what i''m doing and I''m not a fan of DPlay, so what options do I have ?

(I''ve been programming using Winsock in VB for about 2 year''s as a side note and have recently switched over to C++)

Still new to MFC so is there any Socket libraries other then CSocket, I assumed there would be but haven''t found any, Thanks again.
Obviously, you missed the best option: Winsock with C++..

cu,
Prefect

---
Yeah I had a look in the MSDN looking for Winsock for C++ and that just took me to CSockets.. Thanks though I''ll double check the documentation..
I use DirectPlay since my project uses DirectDraw, Direct3D, DirectSound, and DirectInput.

I did choose DirectPlay based on ease of use. It allowed me more time to work on lag issues. Which I''ve pretty much eliminated. If I want I could go to Winsock but so far I''ve found no reason to.

Ben
Hey guys

I''m getting going on Winsock right now and was wondering what''s going to happen when I port to Linux. I don''t think it''ll be for a while, but I''ve got a nice abstract base in reserve for when the day comes! =) Are ''Berkeley Sockets'' what I''ll be using, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

-Scott

spiralguru3d@yahoo.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement