Advertisement

C++ Workshop - Introduction

Started by May 14, 2006 01:11 PM
261 comments, last by Melvin18 15 years, 2 months ago
Greetings All,

I'm still looking at textbooks, but I've discarded several existing options in my textbook list (which you can see on the primary post). At this point the leader by a landslide is:

"Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days (5th Edition)"

Dont go running out to buy it just yet though, give it a few more days to let me check the remaning books.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
haha i see that you like the Sam's teach yourseld book, i was so happy to see that becasue i already have the fourth edition... but now you've gone off and chosen the fifth ed.(well your still considering it) Well Gl picking a book, ill be waiting :)
Advertisement
yeah i was happy to see that. does anyone know if there is a Major difference between the fourth - fifth version? (if not might not need to update..)

but i do think this is amazing, i have never seen a community help each other like this before its fantastic.
like i said i will certainly ally join up from lesson 1, and go through it all over again.
and i will certainly help newer students, after i have learnt the area they are questioning.

i just gotta say thank you, too all the tutors, esp jwalsh thanx.

Adam White
Everyone can learn from their mistakes, its the genius's who learn from the mistakes of others.
Quote: Original post by Damnation
yeah i was happy to see that. does anyone know if there is a Major difference between the fourth - fifth version? (if not might not need to update..)

Probably not; as long as it covers the C++ standard, you'll be able to follow along. I have the Fifth Edition, and it's a really good book. The 21 Day format makes it easy to follow, and it covers how concepts in the language tie in with one another, rather than just dumping code in your lap. The only thing the Fourth Edition might not cover is templates, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't written that long ago.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
corporate darwinism....that's a good way to look at it.

I suppose I am being a little paranoid.....people wouldn't be here on gamedev if they weren't motivated.

If it might be of use, I can talk to my friend about setting up an IRC channel for us if you'd like...that way we can have a more real-time medium in which to interact....I know that we all live in diverse time zones, but it could still be beneficial. Just let me know if you'd like this set up, and I should be able to get it done.
______________________________Stranger things have happened...The Following Sentence is True. The Above Sentence is False.
Quote: Original post by jwalsh
It's just that VC EE is a 450 MB Image file
No it isn't. The basic IDE is only 70MB. It inflates to 450MB if you include MSDN, SQL Server EE, and the Platform SDK, but for the purposes of this course those wouldn't be necessary.

Personally, I cannot stand Dev-C++. I don't just mean I dislike developing in it, I mean I think it's a horrible piece of software that, last time I installed it, screwed with file associations and various other settings to the extent that I had to reinstall Visual Studio to get it to work again.

Quote: Original post by photoman
If it might be of use, I can talk to my friend about setting up an IRC channel for us if you'd like...that way we can have a more real-time medium in which to interact....I know that we all live in diverse time zones, but it could still be beneficial. Just let me know if you'd like this set up, and I should be able to get it done.

I don't think there'd be anything wrong with using #gamedev.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by superpig:
No it isn't. The basic IDE is only 70MB. It inflates to 450MB if you include MSDN, SQL Server EE, and the Platform SDK, but for the purposes of this course those wouldn't be necessary.

Personally, I cannot stand Dev-C++. I don't just mean I dislike developing in it, I mean I think it's a horrible piece of software that, last time I installed it, screwed with file associations and various other settings to the extent that I had to reinstall Visual Studio to get it to work again.

Seriously? That's good to hear. I checked the MSDN download site but I must have looked at the wrong download. I personally love Visual Studio, and its more or less an industry standard now for development. Especially for anyone who plans to use C++/CLR or C# after learning C++. If there's strong opinions in favor of using VC-EE, I'm perfectly fine with that.

I remember when I installed Dev-C++ it did the same thing as super. Well, I didn't need to reinstall visual studio, but I do remember it hijacked my .h and .cpp files and re-associated them. I had completely forgotten about that. So at this point we're looking at either VC EE, or someone mentioned Code::Blocks.

Thoughts anyone? Can I hear from people who are interested in being tutors - what IDE do you think would be easiest to learn on?

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
how much does teach your self c++ in 21 dayes cost

just wondering
If you can crunch VC EE in 70 MB, I'd personally use it. I have VC++ 6.0, and it itself is amazing. I wonder how the new ones would do!

We could provide a default workspace for them to use too, so that'd help the process! =D

Otherwise, just use Dev C++, they can't hate it that much...

EDIT:

It costs anywhere from $20 to $35 for the book.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
I would perfer to use VC++ EE as the IDE/compiler, but as other people have brought up, there will be some students using Linux/other non-Windows systems. However, since they both support the C++ standard, and Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days only covers the standard library, there should be no problems as long as we provide instructions for setting up projects in both IDE's.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement