🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

rotations slower when maximized

Started by
6 comments, last by Kazade 18 years ago
I'm totally new to OpenGL, and even though I'm only on lesson 5 right now, I have a question concerning the speed of polygon rotation. When I run the lesson 4 program in window mode and maximize it, the polygons seem to rotate at a slower speed. Why is this? Is there a way to fix it?
Advertisement
I believe it is because of the way the rotation variable is updated. Normally, you would update the variable based on a timer; that is x rotations per second. In this case, the update is based on the current frame rate (how fast the main while loop repeates itself). When you maxamize the program, it has more to draw so each repetition of the main while loop takes longer and the rotation seems slower.

Keep reading. It will take a while, but NeHe starts into timers on Lesson 21 (I think).

Cheers,
- llvllatrix
Yeah, that makes sense. I might skim Lesson 21 a little. Thanks for the advice!
Quote: Original post by llvllatrix
Keep reading. It will take a while, but NeHe starts into timers on Lesson 21 (I think).

Since some restructuring is underway, maybe this should be ported in lesson 2.

Previously "Krohm"

Definitly.
Quote: Original post by Krohm
Considering there isn't any animation in the first three tutorials I'd suggest that perhaps lesson #4 would be a better place to introduce it. I think putting it in the earlier tutorials would just be adding additional compexity with no visible result to the user.

We'll just have to wait and see what the team doing the updates comes up with though, I'm sure they'll work out some good improvements.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote: Original post by Kazgoroth
Quote: Original post by Krohm
Considering there isn't any animation in the first three tutorials I'd suggest that perhaps lesson #4 would be a better place to introduce it. I think putting it in the earlier tutorials would just be adding additional compexity with no visible result to the user.

We'll just have to wait and see what the team doing the updates comes up with though, I'm sure they'll work out some good improvements.

Well as it looks now the tutorials will be based on a single stabile platform, and it would be a mistake not to include the basic tools (delta time) for animation there, so in theory you could introduce animation from the start.

I agree with lc_overlord, the timer should be introduced in the first lesson even if it is not used immediately, and then explained in greater detail later.

Luke.
Member of the NeHe team.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement