🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Confusion with Lesson 9

Started by
0 comments, last by Enigma 18 years, 1 month ago
Argh! I read this... "Now we move the star. The star starts off in the middle of the screen. The first thing we do is spin the scene on the x axis. If we spin 90 degrees, the x axis will no longer run left to right, it will run into and out of the screen. As an example to help clarify. Imagine you were in the center of a room. Now imagine that the left wall had -x written on it, the front wall had -z written on it, the right wall had +x written on it, and the wall behind you had +z written on it. If the room spun 90 degrees to the right, but you did not move, the wall in front of you would no longer say -z it would say -x. All of the walls would have moved. -z would be on the right, +z would be on the left, -x would be in front, and +x would be behind you. Make sense? By rotating the scene, we change the direction of the x and z planes." It seems to me that if you spin anything on the x-axis the y-axis and z-axis will switch around, not the x-axis and z-axis. The room example is a good example of what would happen if the room rotated around the y-axis, not the x-axis. A better example would've been a square ferris wheel, which spins on the x-axis, and has the y-axis and z-axis constantly moving. Am I making sense? Am I wrong? What is it that I'm missing here?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Hanatarou
Am I making sense?

Yes.
Quote: Am I wrong?

No.
Quote: What is it that I'm missing here?

Nothing. The explanation given in lesson 9 is incorrect.

Σnigma

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement