🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Keyboard

Started by
4 comments, last by Tuan 24 years, 8 months ago
I can't give code away right now since I do not remember it completely but DirectInput will fix it for you if you aquire it exclusivly. The Microsoft DirectX doc's explain pretty good on how to set up such a thing. But mail me if you want some code.

Christoffer Sandberg
todderod@algonet.se

Advertisement
Thanks for your message. I tried but I can't get the event although system doesn't generate beep sound. (I pressed ASDFJKL (hold them) and then the key state didn't change any more when press any key). Could you help me to resolve this problem?

Thanks again.

This is not a problem with DirectInput or its driver or anything. It's the way some keyboard controllers (8042) work (the chip inside the keyboard that handles keyboard events). Some of them don't accept further input when a certain amount of keys are held down (or when certain keys are held down, others are not available).

And there ain't nothing you or DirectInput can do about it

Unfortunately so I noticed when I tryed to doing a little app that tested this. ;y keybord stopped at four keys beingpressed at the same time.

It was just that after reading a little in DirectInput 6.0 docs I was left to belive that it was possible (leaving all keyboard buffers that run full and so on behind), but the fact that a chip in the keyboard was so limiting, I had no idea.

Christoffer Sandberg
todderod@algonet.se

Could anyone show me how to program the keyboard to be able to receive many key press in combat game(like Mortal Combat)? Rightnow, the system will generate beep sound when many keys pressed (depending on the set of keys, sometimes 4 keys, sometimes 8 keys, ...)at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Well, my keyboard stops at around 10 (or maybe I ran out of fingers!) so it's not that bad. But, there are certain keys that "lock out" others no matter what. Very frustrating when you're playing an FPS which requires you to press many keys at once while controlling your character..

I have a little test program I can send you that interactively tells you how many keys are pressed. I was able to press keys 1 thru 0 giving me 10 keys at once.. This way you can spot which keys block others out (if any).

Oh and it's a realmode dos program that hooks the keyboard interrupt, so it's more "raw" than DirectInput.

[This message has been edited by foofightr (edited October 12, 1999).]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement