🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4e5]Discuss: Europe

Started by
115 comments, last by superpig 17 years, 10 months ago
Quote: Your game must be set in, over, around, or under Europe. It can be past, present, or future, and it can be anywhere in Europe.
Feel free to discuss anything about the Europe element in this thread... Aren't there legal restrictions on using real places? The Europe element suggests we can't invent a country / island and say it's in Europe...
Advertisement
The rules say anywhere over, in, or under Europe. So I am assuming that gives you free reign to be inventive, as long as it is noticably Europe in some way.
Quote: Original post by JohnnyCasil
The rules say anywhere over, in, or under Europe. So I am assuming that gives you free reign to be inventive, as long as it is noticably Europe in some way.

It's pretty hard to make somewhere obviously 'European' - New Zealand for example has similar countryside and the US has states that could look like any country. Maybe bad Euro-pop music?!
I'm an uneducated/uncultured American barbarian. I'll have to come up with a way to integrate Europe into a game without proving to the world just how culturally ignorant I am. [smile] Maybe it'll be in the future in a hypothetical scenario where the US has taken over Europe, and forced them to all act like us! [wink]
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Quote: Original post by d000hg
Feel free to discuss anything about the Emblem element in this thread...

Don't you mean Europe, as included in your title?

Quote: Aren't there legal restrictions on using real places? The Europe element suggests we can't invent a country / island and say it's in Europe...

I asked whether fantasy or alternative versions of Europe were allowed in the questions thread, which superpig okayed (as long as the alternative versions were explained).

I'm hoping from that we'd be allowed to invent fictional European countries and towns (for example, like Syldavia from Tintin), although I'd like to have that confirmed to be sure.

It's pretty hard to make somewhere obviously 'European' - New Zealand for example has similar countryside and the US has states that could look like any country. Maybe bad Euro-pop music?!

If your game takes place on a large scale (standard strategy, or travelling merchant, for example), then you could travel across a map of Europe, or at least a part of Europe. That would very obviously locate you within Europe.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Feel free to discuss anything about the Emblem element in this thread...

Don't you mean Europe, as included in your title?
Yes, thanks.

Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote: Aren't there legal restrictions on using real places? The Europe element suggests we can't invent a country / island and say it's in Europe...

I asked whether fantasy or alternative versions of Europe were allowed in the questions thread, which superpig okayed (as long as the alternative versions were explained).
I'm hoping from that we'd be allowed to invent fictional European countries and towns (for example, like Syldavia from Tintin), although I'd like to have that confirmed to be sure.
That would work - new countries getting set up as a result of wars etc.

Um, where is the boundary of Europe going to be set? The EU, or the whole continent including all of Russia and related countries - like on the Risk map?

I don't think it is as hard as it seems. For example, I was thinking of making my entry take place in the future in some sort of floating Arcologies, obviously not European. But since the rules say it can take place over Europe, I was going to model the interiors after European cities and have parts of the Arcologies transparent, and if you look out you can see the remains of Europe, like a crumbling Paris or some such.
For example, I was thinking of making my entry take place in the future in some sort of floating Arcologies...
Have you read 'Spares'?
Recognising ruined cities suggests that landmarks (like Eiffel tower or Millenium Dome) will be in the game. It's precisely these aspects which make me question the legal side of things.

That would work - new countries getting set up as a result of wars etc.

It's not so much a new country, as a totally made up one that was somehow left off the maps (like Syldavia). I'd prefer to leave the option open for inventing the history and culture of a small country or town somewhere, but obviously set it in Europe. I'm almost postively sure that this would be allowable.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement