Advertisement

[4E5] Screenshots and Art

Started by June 05, 2006 10:15 AM
351 comments, last by XDigital 17 years, 9 months ago
This isn't an actual in-game screenshot, but I think it is funny:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Before anyone has a heart attack, that section of code has since been rectified [lol].
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Quote: Original post by jakem3s90

I just took a look at the video - nice job so far!

(and bashing things with sticks rules to no end)
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Pouya
Quote: Original post by AnonymousPosterChild

Hawt!

It's meshes like that which make me smile!
seeing all this 3d makes me feel kind of out-classed :-(
i know graphics is only a portion of a game
but....holy guacamole..., my game will have to be ingenious in order to compete!
contests like this give 'groups' of people a slight advantage =)
Quote: Original post by DJHoy

I just took a look at the video - nice job so far!

(and bashing things with sticks rules to no end)

Thanks! Hopefully I can keep up my current momentum and get all of my plans done in time for the contest! I really hope I can get something fun and enjoyable done this year.

Quote: Original post by cwyers
but....holy guacamole..., my game will have to be ingenious in order to compete!

There were alot of the same concerns last year, but the results proved otherwise. Check out the results from the contest here.

I would say the greatest thing I learned taking part in last years contest is to go after gameplay, and have fun with your entry. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing.
Nothing new, but it'll be in the intro.

gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Advertisement
Behold my GPU killing canopy, which will not make it into any game, since shadowmapping + pixel killing + alpha testing + alpha blending = 19fps pixel shader bound on a 7800GTX [headshake]

Ah well, just wanted to show it off [smile]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
nice canopy - I use billboards for mine (much like speedtree) and they get quite slow when they take up the entire screen. I pretty sure my problem is too much overdraw. You might be able to reorder your polys to get better frame-rates. The question is, what reordering would be best? For you I bet if you rendered the lowest to the ground polys first, you might get a good speed boost, since your under the canopy all the time. Also turning off alpha blending I bet you could get better performance.
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Also turning off alpha blending I bet you could get better performance.

MTTP, if you split it into two passes, do the first one with alphatest and z-writes, then you can do the second one with alphablend on to neaten up the edges and because you've built most of a z-buffer you'll remove a lot of your overdraw.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by cwyers

Don't worry, I'll be doing a 2D entry with (apart from resolution) barely above NES level graphics. Of course my biggest worry is how I'm going to fit about ~130KB worth of sprite graphics (~15KB GIF compressed) into 2000, at most 3000 bytes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement