🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Fullscreen vs Window

Started by
15 comments, last by twentytwo 18 years ago
lol...

SDL ... is ... DirectX.

Simple DirectMedia Layer

P.S.
I was using Managed Direct X 9.0c before this, but the target machine offers very little support for DirectX 9... (and I found that OpenGL offers some interesting advantages when it comes to raster fonts... - which for my current project serves as the majority of my display - I just want 3D...)
Advertisement
Well i guess it was a noobish comment then ... -bows head in shame-
*scratches head* wait a second, if sdl is directx how is it cross platform :/ i thought dx was windows only? btw - soz for not helping as you can see my knowledge in these matters are well small
Quote: Original post by twentytwo
lol...

SDL ... is ... DirectX.

Simple DirectMedia Layer
What? Sorry but if I'm not wrong... SDL uses openGL :P

PS: Hey! This is my first post here :P
n4x0 -- C++ ProgrammerTank Game - Progress: 2%
Quote: What? Sorry but if I'm not wrong... SDL uses openGL :P

Nope. On a windows box and using sdl and opengl, sdl uses directx.
Here's a quote from the official site's main page:

"
Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer.
"

http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

If you go to Documentation on that same site, here's what it says:

"
Win32 -
* Two versions, one safe for all systems based on Win32 APIs, and one with higher performance, based on DirectX APIs.
* Safe version uses GDI for video display. High performance version uses DirectDraw for video display, taking advantage of hardware acceleration if available.
* Safe version uses waveOut APIs for sound. High performace version uses DirectSound for audio playback.
"

http://www.libsdl.org/intro.en/whatplatforms.html

Sounds a bit fishy, but it's true. For Win32, SDL is DirectX. (Since OpenGL is a Graphics Language, it doesn't support sound directly and thus relies on other APIs for various other systems - which makes that first quote sound kind of silly ; as a matter of fact, none of the implimentations really suggest it uses OpenGL at all...)

Okay, I did a little digging and apparently, SDL just has an OpenGL flag you can set to use OpenGL with SDL, but otherwise, its functionality is in fact DirectX in Win32 (which is why you can't mix SDL surface functions with OpenGL video buffer manipulations - DirectDraw and OpenGL don't mix...).

As for the topic on hand, there i s a chance the problem may have something to do with Microsoft's not liking OpenGL - I'll update the video card's OpenGL ICD / video driver and see if the problem goes away (this may take a day or two).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement