🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do i do an account/password check system?

Started by
29 comments, last by kalldrex 23 years, 4 months ago
what header file would that need?
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!!
Advertisement
and is that encryption or no?
fstream.h should be all you need for file i/o

encryption isn''t neccessary unless your worried about someone getting access to your hd directly. Once the client sends the information you can clear it from their memory.

For Vendetta On-line you get a first, last and middle name as well as five aliases. One character per account but you can vary your look based on what you wear. They choose the username but we choose the password and e-mail it to them. That way there is no way that anyone knows anyone''s username. We can change the password on request pretty quickly.

sorry can''t post source. But the source that was posted gives you a good idea.

http://www.vendettaonline.net is finally updated so check it out. It''s THE official site. Screenshots are old but other than that the features are current and everything else.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

I didn''t include any encryption so that my code stayed pretty clear. I don''t have any good ideas on how you would encrypt the files anyway (given that the user is the one we''re mistrusting, instead of trusting in this case). You could do something really odd with a user ID+Name+PWord encryption, as long as it isn''t reversable, that would be decently effective.

Of course, if someone gains access to your server''s HD, something is very wrong, heh.

http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
Don''t send the password! First hash-code the password and send the hash-number. That way no one can fiqure from the hash-number, what your password is.

I hope u know what I mean by hash-coding..
Surely if you only send the hash code, then all a third party could intercept this, and themselves only send the hash code, so you are back where you started.

A better idea would be to send the password with public key encryption. Have the server send the client some info encrypted with the client''s key, the client decrypt''s this, combines what was sent with their password, then encrypts this with the server''s key and send''s it back.
Gee Brain, what we gonna do tonight?
How would a hacker go about intercepting messages? Does it require a trojan? Or can they do it without ever compromising their victim''s computer.

If it requires a trojan than I don''t really have to worry about it. The computer the server actually runs on is on a network computer with a secondary firewall and isn''t used for anything else.

It would then just be up to the users to keep their machine clean and change their password regularly.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com
http://www.vendettaonline.net
I was thinking and why would i need to encrypt or even send the passwrod to the client? Think about it all I would need to do is have the client send a username and password and the server just sends the cleint a message if the info was correct or not! Also I don''t know how safe it is but i think we''re going to use encrypted Back Orifice 2k in order to remotely control our server but If any of you have a better idea then please i would love to know!

What''s hash-coding?
NOTHING IS SAVE don''t give newbies the idea there would be anyway to make something safe the only thing you can realy do is make the holes smaller so only people that aren''t interested in cracking your game or whatever are left with the skills to do so
by the way it''s the term to what you call hacker is really cracker there are lot''s of people that really get upset pretty fas if people start ranting hackers hacked www.whatever.com
cuz it''s really crackers cracked or scriptkiddies ...
Can anyone help me debug this code?
  #include <iostream.h>#include <fstream.h>void main(){	char username[25];	char password[25];	cout <<"Account/Password test program\nBy: Matthew Shapiro";	cout <<"\n\nPlease enter your username: ";	cin >>username;	cout <<"\nPlease enter your password: ";	cin >>password;	cout <<"\nUsername: "<<username;	cout <<"\nPassword: "<<password;	cout <<"\nChecking information";	bool CheckNamePWord(char *username, char *password, unsigned int psize) 	{  		char filepath[260];		sprintf(filepath,"AC_%s\\login.inf",username);		FILE *fp = fopen(filepath,"rb");  if(fp!=NULL) 		{    			/* Now we know that file exists, so let''s encrypt the password that was provided with whatever encryption you use */			for(unsigned int a=0; a<psize; a++) 			{      if(fgetc(fp)!=password[a]) 			{        fclose(fp);			return false;      			}    			}    			// Well the account exists, and the pword is correct, so return that it worked out    			fclose(fp);			return true;	}  		return false;	}    }  

it''s giving me this one error:
E:\Programming\Test\acctpass.cpp(16) : error C2601: ''CheckNamePWord'' : local function definitions are illegal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement