🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Windows Scripting Host?

Started by
4 comments, last by jeanlucpikachu 24 years, 8 months ago

hi,

i haven't worked with WSH in a gaming environment, but have used it to execute scripts from within internet explorer in a production environment. Although i haven't used it with anything that was time critical.

Its quite cool, and has easily replaced batch files on my machine.

if you haven't already done so, check out:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting/default.htm?/scripting/windowshost/default.htm

-mordell

Yeah, sure... we are laughing WITH you ...
Advertisement
i am planning to use the scripting stuff in my game, and already have done a DLL that kind of wraps the interfaces. it is pretty simple to me and the stuff is straightforward. the only concern i have is how fast it will be, but other than the speed issue (which i haven't tested yet), it seems great

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/mutex0

Sorry to break it to you guys, but it's slow.
Dead slow. It's cool for calling a few VERY top-level functions and doing a bit of looping about. It's also great for testing. But it's worse than (or similar to) VB when it comes to performance.

I believe I've mentioned this before somewhere (so forgive me if I sound like a broken record ), but why settle for a slow scripting language, when you might as well use a full fledged programming language such as Java?

It has got many of the virtues of scripting languages but none of the flaws! It's dead easy to write a DLL with the core game, and then write the game logic in Java using that DLL - it won't be platform independent but that wasn't the issue anyway.

Java takes a lot of the fuzz out of OO programming (in particular all the memory B.S.), it's very intuitive, and it's fast...

(No, I don't work for SUN )

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
Wow, thank all of you for the feedback. As usual my roommate got drunk and spilled beer all over my computer, so I've spent this time not programming, but recovering from that. Whoopee...

Um... What else? Ok, not that I'd have even the slightest clue on Java (I know, it'd prolly be easy to learn, but the only reason I mentioned this was because of that WSH article I read) but what about VBA? Visual Basic for Applications? It seems to be about the same idea, except that with the WSH, you can use any language as your scripting language if you fiddle. Is there a speed advantage to VBA over WSH or is it about the same?

------------------

--
Pika, pika
Capt. Jean-Luc Pikachu
AOL IM: dub0neg

Love & Peace ^_^vCapt. Jean-Luc Pikachu
Ok, I just finished reading this BUTTER article in Windows Developer's Journal about the Windows Scripting Host and it's got me all psyched. Hopefully tonight if I manage to finish all my hwk (college is brutal) I'll get cranking on a self-learning app.

I wanted to know though, has anyone else used the WSH for game development? (or will i be the first? MWUAHAHAHHA!) Basically I want to use it for config files and pre-calculated AI scripts... that sort of stuff. Any ideas on how fast the sucker is or how to detect if the WSH is even installed on someone's computer and if it's not, how to fail gracefully?

Love & Peace ^_^vCapt. Jean-Luc Pikachu
Wouldn't know, but my guess is it's the same. It is using the same technologies (Automation, Late binding) even the same syntax, and knowing Microsoft, I figure it's just another name for the same piece of code ...

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement