🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Who isn't participating?

Started by
25 comments, last by deltadream 18 years, 1 month ago
@deltadream: Europe is big. Space in orbit around Europe is huge. Put a bunch of space stations in geostationary orbit inside European airspace. If you keep to a realistic scale, you could get hundreds of stations in there. Maybe they're factories, hydroponic facilities, research labs, a space elevator etc etc. Think of it as HardWar with the ground much further down, or Frontier: Europe Encounters...

Damn, this idea makes me want to enter. If only I had a bit more time... -_-;;;
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by lightbringer
@deltadream: Europe is big. Space in orbit around Europe is huge. Put a bunch of space stations in geostationary orbit inside European airspace. If you keep to a realistic scale, you could get hundreds of stations in there. Maybe they're factories, hydroponic facilities, research labs, a space elevator etc etc. Think of it as HardWar with the ground much further down, or Frontier: Europe Encounters...

Damn, this idea makes me want to enter. If only I had a bit more time... -_-;;;
If you really kept everything European - countries, accents, styles, architecture, it might work, but it would require a lot of work. A generic space shooter featuring crafts with EU logos tacked on wouldn't cut it (I'm interpolating this from parts of a post I think I remember superpig posting).
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote: Original post by Avatar God
If you really kept everything European - countries, accents, styles, architecture, it might work, but it would require a lot of work. A generic space shooter featuring crafts with EU logos tacked on wouldn't cut it (I'm interpolating this from parts of a post I think I remember superpig posting).

Hmm... but what if my alternate reality features a politically united European Union? :)

It could be done with separate countries as you suggest. Seeing as the game would probably be 2d, there wouldn't be much of architecture, but representing national identity should be no problem. We just partition the space for the major powers. Let's say there's the German sector, the British, the Russians, the Turks, the French and the Italians. The storyline would have only these countries expanding into European space, with some healthy dose of stereotypes thrown in. It would probably not feature any combat, we are far too civilized for that :)

I'm starting to think that this might be a good opportunity to flesh out an economics model for another project... the goods and production sites might be different, but the basic trade and consumption models would carry over. One major concern would be to still make it fun to play despite being an economics prototype though... well, I suppose content creation would still be the overriding problem. *sweats*

I guess it's time to read the requirements and discussions more closely and see if I can make something compatible.

On a side note: sorry for hijacking the thread -_-;;;
I am not participating, simply because I have a job.
Quote: Original post by deltadream
I'd like to enter but I don't like to be "locked" in Europe, so I'll pass this contest.

BTW, are there any others like me ? I like to make space sims, but right now I have no ideea to bring a space sim into Europe ...

I don't want to be lame but we got our own nasa here in Europe, I forgot how its called but google is your best friend.
if (*pYou == ASSHOLE) { pYou->Die(); delete pYou; };
You're thinking of ESA...
Thanks for your ideeas, however, I'll have to check with the staff if I decide to join, because I was a bit dissapointed last year.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement