🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E5] Is anybody else doing this?

Started by
5 comments, last by Srekel 18 years ago
Is anyone else putting cheat codes into their games because they don't feel like being productive? [grin] If so, what kinds of cheats are you doing? Most of my cheats are quite pointless. For example, the code "DECASPAMAHEYDRON" causes the map renderer to randomly select a tile each time it goes to draw one and ignores the original map altogether, producing something that looks like TV snow, but with map tiles. [smile] There's another one of mine called "picaek", which does something rather interesting...
Advertisement
I'm going to have some cheats (assuming I manage to get something done, I'm doing it as a side-project), but mostly so the judges can get to try out specific things without playing the whole game. I'm not planning on adding them till later though.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'll include a button which opens a link to the CheatEngine page. That should be sufficient [wink]
Cheat codes?! We're two weeks into the competition and you're expecting us to have planned our cheat codes by now?! [wink]

Like Kasgaroth, I usually have some debugging codes in there somewhere in order to fully test the game, which I may or may not leave in there. But I haven't figured out the gameplay well enough to know what those codes would be!

I guess I could put in such astonishingly innovative cheat codes as "debug normals" and "visualise shadow volumes". Maybe even "texture all objects with normalisation cube map". But nah, players that cheat just spoil it for themselves.
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Well, we are planning on including at least one discoverable easter egg in out entry, but we haven't decided on cheat codes. Most likely we'll just have a console with access to all the standard scripting functions and variables.

If we have time left over we might think up some clever cheats though.
We had a bunch of "cheat codes" during development of our 4E4 game, such as hitting the J key for changing to the next level. We took those out before we uploaded the game for the contest though. That was likely a mistake though, because it meant the judges couldn't skip the early levels and stuff like that.
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement