🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Individual or Team?

Started by
22 comments, last by Sir Sapo 18 years ago
Just what the name asks... I've only ever done little programming things on my own, given I am only 19 and a second year uni student, but for this, I have gotten together the best artist and programmers I know, and have a team of 7... and it seems to keep growing when I talk to mates who are interested, and capable of helping. cheers
Advertisement
Individual...
it will be easier to calibrate the game to the time I am able to spend on it. When dealing with many people, it is sometime difficult to keep everybody interested in the project and have them spend enough time on it (not "impossible" but difficult)...
Individual, because I've not yet reached the limit of doing it alone. (I'm just starting...)
And I took some times to learn sketching and music as well, so that I can achieve better artworks.
Individual. I'm doing it as a side project and may not be able to make the deadline, so I can't commit to a team.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Doing it as an individual is good because you are in full control, but that limits your amount of man hours. If you have a team then you can distribute tasks to your team members. The one problem with a team is that you need to find members that are self motivated, and are competent to take what you have told them and run with it. They need to be able to work on their own and create stuff with little intervention from you. If thats not what your team members are like then you're probably going to waste a lot of time trying to manage them all, but if it's just ment as a fun experience then you'll probably still get a lot out of it in the end.
I'm doing all the programming for my entry myself, and I may do some of the art. I've got an artist, but I'm not sure how she'll respond to the idea of actually making the game we designed...
Individual. I'm aiming to be a "jack of all trades", so a solo project of this size will be a good challenge.
Team of 2.
I'm doing all the programming and most of the design and my little sister is doing all the art and is also helping with the design. We have done this before on a small project and worked out fine. We seem to make a good team.
Small team. Three core members, and a few others to help with specific things (concept drawings, European history, some writing, voices, and whatnot else).

And there's still a lot of work to go around. One programmer, an artist, and I do some art and whatever is left.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Individual. I'm not up for team management at the moment. Too much on my hands.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement