🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Announcement: Site Status

Started by
55 comments, last by DrakeThe 17 years, 4 months ago
Great news! A highly skilled and motivated team has been formed to manage and further develop NeHe. Our first mission is to replace the old lessons (which will still be available for download) with new and improved versions that provide more in-depth explanations, cover material which may have previously been skimmed over or left out in more detail, and demonstrate good programming practices. New lessons will also be written, but for now the focus is on creating a solid foundation to build upon in the earlier lessons. We will intend to continue the tradition of focusing on OpenGL but will also cover related areas where appropriate. Finally, we will make sure our new lessons are as cross-platform and build-system-independent as possible to make it easier for those who may be using different tools. Achieving this should be much easier thanks to improved basecodes being written for the lessons. We are currently writing the first lessons and deciding important aspects like coding standards, as well as updating the back-end code of the website to make future updates a more streamlined process. If you have any more questions and/or suggestions feel free to ask on the forums or contact me directly. Cheers // BBB, PR-guy for NeHe.
Advertisement
Nice, im looking forward to whatever you guys acheive with NeHe.
sweet news.

curious: when will these 'old' lessons be replaced? I only ask because I just started on 'em ;)
Don't know, soon, when they are done, we are currently doing the first few and they could in theory be done in a week or two, though this depends on how many we want to include on the release day, then there is the whole web site bit of witch i know little about.

But do the old ones anyway, it will take some time for us to get them on-line, and when we do, i do think it would be a + to have done some of the old ones.
Also there is the fact that only a few ones will be available at day one, perhaps up to lesson 5-10(maybe more).
Sounds great, I've been waiting for this news. A question about the website, is it going to be changed into the GDNet layout/scheme, or is it going to be the same type of layout as now? If the latter, will my themes still be compatible, because I'm quite used to using my blue/white one on NeHe now :)
I think at first we want to leave the style of the webpage untouched, we only change the content.
And as lc_overlord said, ther wil be less then 10 lessons posted at the release day, because we nerly finished the basecode and the code for the first lessons... No explanations yet, so plase be patient and read the old ones.
I have a recommendation: include tutorials that incorporate the use of QT.
Awesome news, can't wait for the updates!

If you need any help with the website I would be happy to help, I do HTML/CSS/PHP/JS.
Suggestion: use as modern C++ as possible and cross-platform as possible: SDL, STL, C++ strings, etc. If you need external libraries (like image loading), use FreeImage. FreeImage works bettern (IMO) than any other.

Oh and one thing: The NeHe website:

"This Web Site Requires That Cookies Are Enabled In Your Browser!"

What are you trying to save on my computer?

"1280x1024 Recommended For Best Viewing!"

Really? Why? 1024x768 seems to work.
All good points, but.

1. yes we allready do use modern c++, strings, SDL and so on (and glut for some reason) for the new lessons.
2. the website is being redesigned, but to what degree i can't say for shure.

Sidenote:The cookies are only used for saving witch theme you are currently using, nothing evil, and yes 1024x768 works, i even think 800x600 will work, but the smaller the screen res the harder it is to read.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement