🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

hl2 mod?

Started by
4 comments, last by Monder 17 years, 11 months ago
Are making total conversion mods in half life 2 an option? I say because my friend was interested in helping me with maps but he was wanting to use Hammer. As far as I know there are no details on the file format for hl2 maps and so I couldn't just import the geometry into my own editor (which i was working on). Plus there's the benefit of hl2 having a complete engine etc. I would still rather just be able to import the geometry from the file or get him to use 3ds or something. thanks
Advertisement
You'd need permission to distribute HL2 with your app, since you need to distribute everything needed to run it. Obviously, you won't get that, so no.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
oh forgot about that lol. thanks
Quote: Original post by sirob
You'd need permission to distribute HL2 with your app, since you need to distribute everything needed to run it. Obviously, you won't get that, so no.

Can't you just require the player to already own it? Obviously that's no use for the contest (unless you buy each judge a copy [wink]) but would it be legal?

And hey Sirob, how's things? Not seen you since 4E4 - remember helping with some particle effects?
You can use Valve Hammer Editor to make Quake 1 maps
  • , and there are several free Quake 1 engines with plenty of nice features (e.g. Darkplaces has dynamic shadow volumes, HDR etc). Those are freely distributable under GPL (thus your entry would also have to be under GPL).

It's probably also possible to compile the MAP files to Quake 3 format quite easily, make Quake 3 BSP files out of them and then use Irrlicht or Ogre to load them. You could also copy the BSP loader from Irrlicht if you don't want to use either engine (Irrlicht has a license that lets you do closed source stuff even if you copy parts of it or statically link to it).

• The tool to look for is Qonverge: http://www.icculus.org/homepages/riot/
    Read the legal stuff; Don't advertice that you used Hammer ;).
  • Quote: As far as I know there are no details on the file format for hl2 maps and so I couldn't just import the geometry into my own editor (which i was working on).

Both the VMF and BSP formats have documentation available, you can find the VMF stuff here and the BSP stuff here personally I'd recomend taking a VMF file and compiling that into your own format rather than using a BSP file (unless of course you want to use the BSP format).

I don't know how Hammer and the VMF and BSP file formats are licenced however, you'd need to check that you can actually use them for things other than HL2 mods.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement