🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Load balancing between different servers

Started by
0 comments, last by Anthracks 23 years, 4 months ago
I was just thinking about some previous posts, stating the benefit of distributing your world into regions across several machines. Obviously this is a good idea, however I''m curious as to the actual mechanics of how it would work. When one player moves into another region, what exactly goes on behind the scenes? Would the server send the client a packet telling it to disconnect and (transparently) reauthenticate and log into the new one, the one that hosts the region he''s moving to? And while all this is going on, I suppose that any items in his posession would have to shoot over to the new server''s memory as well. Does this sound like how it would generally go on? I''m just curious, heh. Anthracks
Advertisement
Pretty much. The only improvements I'd suggest are:

* Don't disconnect from the old server until the client is fully connected and recognized on the new one. That way there is no discontinuity -- someone is always responsible for the client.

* Store persistent character data in one location, such as a SQL backend, and let each server access it as necessary. This makes it easy to synchronize access to critical resources (there is only ever 1 Sword of Grisly Hacking), and you don't have any reality fractures if players keep hopping back and forth between Server1Land and Server2Land.

Edited by - fprefect on February 21, 2001 1:23:24 PM
Matt Slot / Bitwise Operator / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement