🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Fable: A Good Example?

Started by
8 comments, last by Spoonbender 17 years, 11 months ago
Just wondering, would the xbox game, Fable, be a good example of an entry in this contest (not entering it of course, but if that was entered in this contest as an original entry and has never been released before, hypathetically) then would this be a good example of using the 4 elements?
eTronic Gaming
Advertisement
I dont think Fable is a good example of anything.

Plus, good and evil aren't really emotions, and I dont remember any significant use of emblems.

[Edited by - AnonymousPosterChild on July 15, 2006 5:08:44 PM]
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Quote: I dont think Fable is a good example of anything.

Oh, you're so norty!

[Edited by - JBourrie on July 15, 2006 6:34:47 PM]

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Fable had enough Ecomomy to fit that element and probably sufficient Emotion. They didn't specifically say it was set in Europe though to my knowledge (although it clearly was as all the people in the game had very English accents [wink]) and it didn't really have much of an Emblem (can't recall there being one anyway).

I quite liked Fable though, it was fun enough and I probably benefited from knowing nothing of the hype before playing it. If a group of indies were to make a game of its (commercial) quality, I would be very surprised if it didn't win [smile]
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Quote: Original post by ViLiO
Fable had enough Ecomomy to fit that element and probably sufficient Emotion. They didn't specifically say it was set in Europe though to my knowledge (although it clearly was as all the people in the game had very English accents [wink]) and it didn't really have much of an Emblem (can't recall there being one anyway).

I quite liked Fable though, it was fun enough and I probably benefited from knowing nothing of the hype before playing it. If a group of indies were to make a game of its (commercial) quality, I would be very surprised if it didn't win [smile]

There was no real emblem, and emotion played no significant role at all.

Also, you dont need to have seen the hype to know fable was bad. It was glitchy, ten hours long and had no replay value whatsoever, since being good or evil didnt really affect the game at all.
Well, Oblivion would fit all the categories except Europe, at least.
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Oblivion didn't even *pretend* to have any kind of emotion. And I didn't notice any emblem there either.
At least Fable had stuff like "Ohnoes, my family has been killed, how sad" for emotion.
Quote: Original post by Spoonbender
Oblivion didn't even *pretend* to have any kind of emotion. And I didn't notice any emblem there either.
At least Fable had stuff like "Ohnoes, my family has been killed, how sad" for emotion.

Thats a fairly weak example. It had nothing to do with the gameplay itself, just a poor excuse to move the plot along.
Emotion was a good bit of the gameplay if you ever took the time to speak to people instead of just casting charm spells on them [grin]. It's undeniable that emotion was part of the game. And there were serious efforts to make players feel emotions (killing the Dark Brotherhood clan, after you realized you killed people and not goblins, after you lost Martin) - it's not the designers fault that some of the players are heartless robots! [lol]

And the symbol of the realm of Oblivion was all over the place - on anything evil-related (which was a nice hint that you did or did not need to enter a door, kill something, or take an action). Remember, the pi-like symbol?
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote: Original post by AnonymousPosterChild
Quote: Original post by Spoonbender

Thats a fairly weak example. It had nothing to do with the gameplay itself, just a poor excuse to move the plot along.

Yup. I'm just saying it's better than Oblivion, which doesn't even have *that* [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement