🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Average Code Length

Started by
4 comments, last by Slayer-X 24 years, 7 months ago
I'm designing a 2D side scroller and right now my code is about 3000+ lines and its far from finished..but I must mind you that my project is very big with many different features
Advertisement
My first game ever was a 2D side scroller that weighed in at about 2,500 lines of code. Hoever, it was nothing to brage about in any way. I'd imagine a good 2D game to break atleast 4,000 or come closs to that number anyway.
If you want to see how big a professional sidescroller can be, download the Abuse source code. I haven't finished looking at it yet, but it's a pretty good size.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

i just checked and my defyengine has about 13,000 lines of stuff (all the includes and source files together). if you include the other stuff (datafile compiler, viewer, defytest), i think it comes around 20,000, not sure... it is 3d

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/mutex0

I'm just thinking up all sorts of stupid questions now arn't I? Well, I was wondering what the average code length for a side scrolling 2D game would be....I just want to see what programming hell I have to look forward to...lol. I find programming fun but the time it consumes it outrageous. Thanx for your help.
Ive made 2 2d side scrolling games, My first one was 8400 lines, give or take a few, but my newest game, which is MUCH, MUCH better is only 4100, as yo get better at programming yo can accomplish the same task in less lines of code and faster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement