Advertisement

Correct format for writing games

Started by August 06, 2006 03:33 PM
2 comments, last by ESPNOnlineGames 18 years, 1 month ago
Hey! I'm new to the forums, and I've always wanted to make games as a career since my very young days. I'm no linear thinker, so programming (as I have already learned) is not in the cards. However, I do enjoy writing very much and have already written many ideas for video game plots, characters, worlds, etc. I can't show any right now, because many of my works are currently being copywritten. However, my question to you here at the forum, is what format should games be written in? Should they be written like a movie script, a novel, or some other format? An answer would be much appreciated, because I can then start converting my works to the proper format! Thanks in advance, CTFan
*looks dubious* Well to answer your question a movie or comic book script format works best for a linear story, while a flowchart works best for a branching story, but either way writing fiction requires just as much linear thinking as programming does; and on the other hand have you heard of object-oriented programming, it's supposedly modular rather than linear.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by CronoTriggerfan
[...] I can't show any right now, because many of my works are currently being copywritten.

What's copywriting? Street jargon for plagiarism?
A good book to read about story telling in games would be Mary Ryan's book Interactive Narrative. Most of the game stories I have scene are done in a visio flow chart, thow comic book story boards are useful as well.

Also, so you know, you don't have to do anything to copyright your ideas, I am fairly sure that as soon as your write them down you own the copyright.
ESPN Online Gameshttp://www.espngames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement