🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Distributing full versions of shareware

Started by
18 comments, last by lutas 23 years, 3 months ago
I was just wondering what people considered the best form of receiving a full version of a program that is shareware after paying for it. I was juggling between two main options: 1. Include all the stuff necessary in the demo version and just unlock it later 2. Allow people to download the full version after they have payed for it. I was wondering if others with experience in this area could assist in my decision of which method to do Thanks Philip Lutas
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
Advertisement
i vote for the 2nd option
I agree, the second option is probably the best. First of all, it''ll stop people from hacking into the program code and avoiding registration, and by forcing people to come online you will (hopefuly) keep ''em interested in new products.
--------------------Help Needed!Turn-based 20th century strategy wargameTitle still to be determined
after you tell them where to download the whole thing from, what is going to keep them from telling everyone where they can download the whole thing from ?

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
I think you require a password to download the file, and you change the password once in a while.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
if you use one of the more secure online distribution methods such as Digital River or RegNow, then you really shouldn''t have anything to worry about. they will handle your transactions for you and then let the user download the game after the credit card has been processed. from what i understand, they are very secure and will take care of your stuff nicely.

dave

--
david@neonstar.net
neonstar entertainment
--david@neonstar.netneonstar entertainment
The digital river sounds good I think.

I''ll tell ya how it goes k?
Please, can someone tell me (us) more things about Digital River or RegNow? where i can find it?
www.digitalriver.com
www.regnow.com

From what I have gathered, it seems you pay a one off set up fee and a percentage of the price/unit sold..

I guess the setup fee covers their admin costs if you don''t sell anything but I am sure no one plans on that happening...

Anyway I found a UK one too which allows you to take pound sterling and also pays me in GBP too
What if some thing happens, IE Virus, Re-format for what ever reason and they lose the game, do they have to pay to download it again ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement