🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Beginner Microsoft Visual C++ Game Programmer(I need Help)

Started by
1 comment, last by MicroMan 23 years, 3 months ago
Hey Programmers, I am a new C++ programmer. I have made various programs and expiremented a little with game programming. The problem is that I don''t know how to start. I have heard that you can get game templates and stuff,But, I don''t have one.I also would like to know anything that you know because you probably know more than I do. Anyway, I am really into game programming, and would love to start learning anything about the business that I would love to be a part of. So please help me. See ya
Advertisement
Hi I can give you some general pointers. If you are really new to gameprogramming I can reccomend "windows gameprogramming for dummies" by Andre LaMothe. You''ll learn the basics and some about the win API and directx.

As for game Templates i dont have much info but there are game engines (like a 3d engine) you can buy/(find for free).

If you use an engine much of the code is already done and you just need to learn how to use it. Example:
move your sprite to the left without game engine requires "alot" of code in c but if you use a game engine you maby only have to type
sprite1 engine_sprite_move_command_left ++
lol i know that was a bad example but just so you get the point. good Luck
hey hybris,

Thanks, I''ll look for that book in stores.

See ya

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement