🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which Language to use?

Started by
0 comments, last by Jack Sniper 23 years, 3 months ago
Hi there! I want to write a simple Multiplayergame over the Internet. It is going to be tilebased. Because I don''t want to run a Server for the game, I thought of programming a Script and run this Script on a free Web Hoster. I already know some good. Now I don''t know which Script Language to use! CGI, Perl or PHP! What is better for my purpose? The Client will be programmed on Win32. It should connect to the Script, checks the User idetification, downloads the actual state of the map, etc. How can I realise this? I thought of a database which is run on the Server. And which contains the Locations of the players and perhaps some Facilities which can be created. And how do I implement Time ? MfG Jack
Advertisement
Running scripts on the server shouldn''t be too difficult. Anything that you are likely to want to do (user authentication, accessing a DB etc) you can do with any scripting language (Perl, ASP, PHP, Java or even C/C++).

Biggest thing is what you feel comortable programming in, will offer good performance, not to mention being able to get that language hosted somewhere.

Time is always a big issue on any multiplayer game, especially when things are extremely dependant upon it. The most common method is to set a ''tick'' pattern (every msec, sec, 5 minutes, 10 hours whatever) and make that represent a unit of time in your game.

Deciding this will take a little while as you want it fast enough to keep people interested, but not soo fast that slow network connections will be at a disadvantage etc. Also, if you are using an ordinary web server, you may not be able to have a persistent application running constantly.

-- And that''s my $0.02 worth --

Hang on, where I come from, $0.02 is rounded down. Does that mean my opinion is worthless or priceless?

Talent2
-- That's my $0.02 worth --
Hang on, where I come from, $0.02 is rounded down. Does that mean my opinion is worthless or priceless?
CHROM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement