🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Announcement: Quick update

Started by
10 comments, last by K_64 17 years, 5 months ago
If you wanted the basecode to be platform independent, why not use SDL, GTK, Qt, GLUT or some other. That way you probably would not have to rewrite the code 3 times. Plus, you could concentrate more on OpenGL than on windowing systems. Being platform independent is not that easy, there are complete toolkits dedicated for that.
Advertisement
I'm looking forward to these new Tutorials.

Just one thing, when I was starting with OpenGL & DirectX, basically the only thing I wanted to do was get a Triangle on screen, and I think alot of people are like this. Maybe have ONE 'Super Novice Intro' which includes the absolute minimum to get a triangle up and running? By that I mean, no error checks or anything, just as clean as you can make it (or maybe thats just a dumb idea :).

Quote: Original post by RobTheBloke
Don't get me wrong, Coding standards are very useful, but really hungarian takes it to the extreme with no actual benefits. As an example, the coding style i use now is

ClassName
FunctionName
mMemberVariable
gGlobalVariable
local_variable

I don't really see the point of using the underscore m_ and g_, it just adds to rsi; hence i just m and g.

I agree with this nearly 100%. I especially dislike the 'C' prefix to classes.

This, however, is what I use:
ClassNameFunctionNamemMemberVariablezStaticMemberVariablegGlobalVariablelocalVariable <- _'s are the past, look to the future.

That said, I can live with m_, mp_, etc, just giving my 2c.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement