🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to do 32 bits texture quality ?

Started by
2 comments, last by Catweazle_1 17 years, 6 months ago
Hello folks, A few weeks ago I went for OpenGL in stead of DirectX and I like it a lot! Gone up to lesson 10 already and I'm playing with the code. A few days ago I tried to improve the texture quality from 16 bits to 24 bits bmp's but without success. In the code from the lessons the OpenGL window is always initialised like this from lesson 6: if (!CreateGLWindow("NeHe's Textures, Lighting & Keyboard Tutorial",640,480,16,fullscreen)) The 16 represents the color bits depth so I thought changing that to 24 or 32. That way the pixelformatdescriptor uses that value for the color depth setting. But when I use a true color bmp image and change that to 24 or 32 it gives the same "poor" result like it is still showing 16 bit color quality. When I view the image in whatever viewer or graphics program it is perfect. Anybody has an idea what I need to do more ? <EDIT> I also tried the Texture Loader from Chris Leathley found on this forum. But with the same result. Here is an example of a part of a palm tree: And how it comes out on the screen: image hosted by ImageVenue.com </EDIT> TIA Catweazle [Edited by - Catweazle_1 on December 23, 2006 11:36:50 AM]
Advertisement
Just found it!!!

I am using a compac nx9005 laptop with an Ati Radeon 320M graphics card.
Guess that this card doesn't support 24 bit color depth for OpenGL.
The driver was already set to the highest quality so I thought that that woudn't be the problem because my laptop isn't 2 years old yet.

Anyway, I tried it on my PC with a Voodoo3 card and it works perfectly....
Quote: Original post by Catweazle_1
Woah!
Have fun and Good Luck!

Previously "Krohm"

Quote: Original post by Krohm
Quote: Original post by Catweazle_1
Woah!
Have fun and Good Luck!

LOL..... it runs at about 1 frame per second on that old one.
But at least I know now what the problem was ;-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement