🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AngelScript 2.8.0 is here

Started by
5 comments, last by droz 17 years, 4 months ago
A brand new version of AngelScript has been uploaded. Not many new features though, this release brings mostly adjustments to the existing features to make the library a bit easier to use.
  • There is now Set/GetEngineProperty() methods for changing some general behaviour in the engine dynamically, e.g. the use of unsafe references.
  • GetArgPointer() and GetReturnPointer() can now be used with asIScriptContext and asIScriptGeneric to provide generic interface to values, e.g. for templated wrappers.
  • Improved the memory management in the library so that it is now possible to control it exactly by registering the handlers with SetGlobalMemoryFunctions() Removed the bits type. Bitwise operators are now done on the uint type instead. This lessens the ambiguity when choosing how to map the types between AngelScript and C++.
  • Added 64bit integer types. Once more to provide better interaction between AngelScript and C++.
  • The this keyword is now optional when accessing class members from within class methods.
  • Object constructors can now be used by the compiler to perform implicit conversions, in some situations. The next release will likely provide even more improvements like these. I'm currently trying to minimize the memory footprint of the library so that it will more console friendly. Regards, Andreas
  • AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
    AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Advertisement
    Do we now have to write our own memory alloc and dealloc functions? I upgraded to 2.8.0 and now I get unresolved externals on userAlloc and userFree.
    My guess is that you didn't add the new as_memory.cpp module to your AngelScript project. This is where userAlloc and userFree are defined. (always check the change list to see what changed)

You will not have to register your own memory functions, by default AngelScript will use malloc and free from the CRT library.

Regards,
    Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
    AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

I see that you added the as_memory file to the project files for MSVC6, so it's supposed to be compiled in with the library? If so you forgot to add it to the gnuc makefile, I added it and re-compiled, now everything works fine.

Did you forget this? Or am I supposed to copy it into my own project and compile it with it?
    I forgot it. Most of the project files are probably out of date.

I'll try to have the project files updated in the SDK as soon as possible. Thanks for letting me know.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references

I've just been reading about this scripting language in Gems 6 and is sounds really good, so I suppose it is time I tried it out.
    Thanks
    No problem, I added it to the GNUC makefile and everything compiled fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement