Advertisement

Original storyline for a horror game? Is it possible?

Started by February 14, 2007 06:43 PM
47 comments, last by Kin the Pumpkin King 17 years, 2 months ago
I see what you are saying now. I guess that's it then. ;)

Thanks for your input!
Quote: Original post by picklejuice
You could go with a story loosely based on the rapture. I'm not a religious man so I don't know the details of this, but I figure it would be possible to at least somewhat base it on this.

You'd have to do a little bit of looking into this, but it says in Revelations that the dead in Christ shall rise. Several people also believe the Hebrew word "sheol" has been mistranslated as meaning hell when it's actually closer in meaning to a grave. You could interpret something in there as those in the ground rising above, thus, zombies. You could also have it involve the Four Horsemen, in that they are raising zombies to begin the several years of anguish earth is prophesized to have. The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse would make for some killer bosses. Unless its strictly zombies, there are a number of other creatures detailed in the Bible you could use. (Doing something like that would be more of a "hero" role than a "survivor" role, as Sanch3x explained.)

As far as an original storyline without an evil corporation or terrorist attacks, that leaves us with a few options that I can think of. H.P. Lovecraft comes to mind, in that you could make a supernatural or otherwise alien being responsible. It could be something like a bubonic plague that resurrects its victims. It could be a form of virus that evolved in someone, and this Patient Zero would play a role in the story. You could even be that Patient Zero, determined to correct something you feel responsible for.

That's all I got. I'll need time to think about anything else.
Advertisement
The town has been hit by a new secret weapon that strips people of their souls...

...the main character just happened to be in place X when it happened, and place X protected him from the blast.

...no soul == zombie btw. [smile]
Quote: Original post by sanch3x
I think not explaining a thing adds to the immersion and makes the whole thing seem more real. Dawn of the Dead didn't explain why people were zombies, a reveran (or some other religious dude) says something along the lines of "when there is no more room in hell the dead shall walk the earth" but it's not an actual explanation. It adds to the creep-me-out factor and in my opinion makes it one of the better zombie movies.

If not the best --although Land Of the Dead left a very nice impression on me !

To read the number of posts in this thread, it looks that the zombies have still a good future ahead of them ! ;) I am glad to see that I am not the only one who got *stuck* on zombies in horror movies or games, and I 100% agree with sanch3x and his reference to Dawn Of The Dead.

I tend to think though, that it is not so much the idea that makes the game, but the storyline and the gameplay. If your idea is grand, then it helps for sure, but if the realisation lacks in gameplay or storyline, then it will not change much. As an example, I always think of the movie The Island, whose idea was awesome, but whose realisation was not as good, to my humble European opinion (I am not so excited when there is too much action/stunts that do not really serve the plot: Cars, trucks, planes, other means of locomotion exploding on screen often add nothing to the story).

Once again, as sanch3x said, the right thing to me is to be immersed in the game's athmosphere and environment, and to beleive that when you see a pile of pixels moving around (Oh, we're no longer in the 80's VGA era ?), it is actually you running for your life !
StratBoy61
an evil shaman voodoo priest guy or cult. its not really done to much ive only seen a couple movies and games that do it and not so simply. you can raise what kind status the voodoo guy has it doesnt have be some guy straight off the boat from haiti, or it could, or it could be a guy from haiti who lived among americans for awhile, maybe he became mayor. not to far fetched, wasnt there a mayor who smoked crack and was on video tape buying it. arnold and jesse became mayor. voodoo zombies are the original zombie aint they? the nano tech idea was pretty good
so you got a tank, big whoop, wanna fight about it
heck have more than one reason. the more twist the deeper the game. mgs sons of liberty. i still dont know what happened but i know i fought a vampire, an electric army general, giant robots, and what not. all of whom who were very satisfying to destroy.
so you got a tank, big whoop, wanna fight about it
Advertisement
I like the idea that there is no explanation, and that the point of the game is to survive and escape, rather than destroy the source. To me, THAT's what's done to death (pardon the pun)--there's always this easy solution, and everyone lives happily ever after--well, what if the only way is to get the hell out and hope that someone drops a nuke on the infected city? What if there is no Queen Zombie or Supreme Shaman or an antidote? What if the premise is getting out before the bomb drops? Then you have a game where the only realistic solution to the situation may be something like a nuke that kills a lot of innocent people in the process of saving the majority. And that's something unusual.
I often dream that I'm being chased by zombies and I can assure you that knowing why they are zombies isn't my biggest concern. Having to stake/stab/kill my mom( or aunts or roomies or godson) because they were bitten and are turning into zombies is much worse.

It's possible to have a very gore game with very emotional scenes in a zombie game!
Can someone please explain to me the fascination so many people have with zombies.

I'm a fan of a wide range of fictitious creatures/characters in sci-fi, fantasy, and urban myths but I've never understood the appeal of zombies. As far as I’m concerned they lack originality, creativity, intelligence, and frankly aren’t scary for the aforementioned reasons. About the only reason I can come up with for having zombies is to provide walls of moving flesh that you have to shoot, hack, or blast your way through. Am I missing something?
The concept of a somewhat hard to kill, mutilated man who simply wants to feast on your flesh can definitely work good in a horror game or film. However yes, their complete overuse in games does make them a very paltry enemy to have unless you really break the mold with them and their role in your game. ex: hl2, it has zombies but they don't feel as hackneyed as other games due to their origin and creepiness

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement