🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Just some random inspiration

Started by
1 comment, last by hand2922 17 years, 4 months ago
How to Save the World DrawRight.com Gallery Check 'em out, then get back to drawing, and try to draw everyday. /me reaches for his sketchbook...
Advertisement
I bought a book titled Force: Dynamic Life Drawing for Animators, and it's revolutionizing my sketching (I feel). I've already decided on two workshops to follow this one: Portrait Art and Drawing for Animation (not necessarily in that order).

Anyway, there were some quotations and statements in the book that I wanted to share with this workshop, as I felt they could encourage:

Art does not reproduce the visible; rather, it makes visible. - Paul Klee

Argue for your limitations, and sure enough, they're yours. - Richard Bach

The work of art is the exaggeration of the idea. - André Gide

There is no failing, only results. Be courageous and push yourself to new heights. Besides, what is going to happen if you make a "bad" decision? You will learn from it. - Michael D. Mattesi

I am not discourage, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward. - Thomas Edison

Often, when it comes to drawing, we are overly concerned with getting it right on the first try. In fact, it takes much practice, and even then it takes a measure of repetition - to draw a perfect curve in a single stroke, the artist may move his arm, pencil in hand, multiple times across the area until he has a thorough knowledge of that movement, and only then lays graphite to wood pulp.

Just draw. Don't worry if it doesn't look right. As you continue to draw, you'll internalize the principles that you are practicing. The key thing is that this workshop ensures that you also understand those principles, cognitively, and doesn't just expect you to grok them out of the ether. [smile]

Now do your assignments!
not really any drawing insperations but I have found good music to really help me relax and draw. Mostly classical piano and fingerstyle guitar. I really like Andy Mckee and beethoven's piano concertos. But any instrumental music helps. I try and avoid anything with singing as the words distract. But just some background music to help drown out the noises around you can help put you in the zone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement