🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New NeheSDK taster

Started by
6 comments, last by bronxbomber92 17 years, 3 months ago
As some of you know, a new version of the Nehe SDK is being written to coincide with the new lessons, so as the lesson beta code is out, I have stuck some of the screenshots from the new SDK in my journal here for you to look at.
Advertisement
Cool!!!
Hi.
Nice !

Looks very promising, especially since it works on all platforms. :)
Really hope you keep the old lessons archived. The Windows startup code was a good way show newbies how to get started on Windows + OpenGL who refuse to use other peoples library. Sure you can talk until you're blue in the face that SDL is good (I've never used it nor ever will mind you) place to get started.
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Really hope you keep the old lessons archived. The Windows startup code was a good way show newbies how to get started on Windows + OpenGL who refuse to use other peoples library. Sure you can talk until you're blue in the face that SDL is good (I've never used it nor ever will mind you) place to get started.

We aren't taking the old lessons down, they will always be there. Although, I would like to point out that I do not think it a good idea for anyone to point blank "refuse to use other people's libraries" with out weighing up the arguments for and against. Right tool for the job etc.

We aren't trying to force people to use SDL, but rather provide a means to reach a wider audience with our tutorials and in turn provide beginners information on how to reach a wider audience with their applications. There are other alternatives to SDL that do the same, but SDL does what we want, and it does it damn well. [smile]

Just for a bit more information on SDL, that I don't think has been mentioned in any of these beta threads. SDL is supported on a vast number of platforms, not just Windows, *nix and Mac. Check out this list of supported platforms:

• Linux

• Windows

• Windows CE

• BeOS

• MacOS

• Mac OS X

• FreeBSD

• NetBSD

• OpenBSD

• BSD/OS

• Solaris

• IRIX

• QNX.

And unofficially:

• AmigaOS

• Dreamcast

• Atari

• AIX

• OSF/Tru64

• RISC OS

• SymbianOS

• OS/2

• GP2X hand-held console.

BTW, nice work gregs ;)

Member of the NeHe team.
Quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

Besides what Kazade said, tutorials should deal with the main subject at hand, and in this case it is openGL. It doesn't really make sense to do something in pure win32 code when only win32 people can use that code as is. Then someone must port it to their system for them to use it.

SDL isn't evil, yeah, it will require a one time download of headers/libs, but other than that, it is the best solution to get the openGL code work on all platforms without the need of someone needing to port it.

Quick note:- The new SDK doesn't use the SDL.
Forgot a platform for SDL, it is also supported unofficially on the PSP

Just thought I would add to the list :p

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement