🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How has Gamedev.net helped you?

Started by
40 comments, last by Michael Tanczos 23 years, 2 months ago
I want to pose this question to the community. How has Gamedev.net helped you in your pursuits? We''re interested in hearing about some of the positive things you''ve gotten out of the site. Have you taken classes that have ever referenced Gamedev.net? Tell us all about it, but please limit posts to your own stories and not replies to other posts. Thanks! --- Michael Tanczos (no sig yet)
Advertisement
Gamedev.net ist one of my favorite Links. You''re doing a really good job. I enjoy reading your interesting articles and the community is very helpfull (forum, etc.).
If I ''ve a problem I post question in it and get answers mostly very fast. That''s fantastic.
I hope you''ll keep up your great work - otherwise I would miss something.

Greets,
- Tealc

Well, I''m not sure how I originally found GameDev.net, but I can tell you the things that your site has been responsible for (a listeral list is as good as I can do, I''m not much of an author ):
  • OpenGL (Jeff''s Tutorials)
  • WinSock 2 and Some info. on writing multiplayer games
  • How to better manage large projects in C/C++
  • A good reference to help newbie programmers get into game programming (I knew C/C++ before I came here though)
  • A chance to hear about news related to the gaming industry (as much from other users as from your own main page posts)
  • (Refering to the last) A chance to hear what other people think about them
  • A place where I can put my "Resist Windows XP" banner that lots of people see
  • Many hours of browsing and responding on the message boards, and much more that I''m sure I am forgetting

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
http://druidgames.cjb.net/
I''ve been here for quite a while, just not a very active member of the community. (not much free time).

I remember seeing many of the founding people here posting on the GameProgramming Mega Site, and then later on Sweet.Oblivion.

The biggest thing this site has done has kept me inspired. I enjoy reading over the message boards and seeing what other people are doing/working on and it keeps the urge to program in me when I''m stuck on something tough or just want to take a break.
NO GAME FOR YOU!
gamedev is one the best sites. I always post a message here first before any other sites ..

good job gamedev.. you are the best. .

Andrew Keith
nehe''s tutorials really got me into opengl, and then the forums help me with all my problems and theories.

i dont wanna seem ungratefull, but thats all ive gotten out of gamedev.net. not that that''s a small amount :]]

keep it up, only gamedev related site i *keep* going too, flipcode is good, but no content ive used im afriad :/

red@deadpenguin.org
www.deadpenguin.org
__________________graham "red" reeves.[email=red@deadpenguin.org]red@deadpenguin.org[/email]www.deadpenguin.org
Yes, the GameDev.net website is the first from my favorite links to news and other things related to games industry and programming. Firstly, I want to thank the developers of this site for it''s unlimited help to other people and me, the OpenGL and other inherited sites are the best resource of information that can be found on the web. Secondly... Oh, well.. You already know it..
KEEP UP WITH GOOD NEWS !!!
lets put it this way before I found this site the only resources I could find were on DOS ModeX programming.

My Homepage

Visit my forums
Hi All,

I''m gonna keep it simple...

Basically GameDev for me (and others i''m sure) is what water would be to a desert.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has helped me in the passed 2 years.

Indy
Indy
The discussion on the GDNet forums has really challenged me to improve my knowledge about C++! My code is obviously MUCH better than it was before I came here.

I think I can speak for everyone on the forums when I say that helping people is a learning experience in itself. There are lots of programmers with differing levels of knowledge and it is fun to see them interact. The entire game development community profits by voluntarily sharing knowledge. I don''t have any friends in my offline community who are interested in game development or programming, so this site is also my only source of conversation about it.

Hat''s off to GDNet - The World''s Best Game Development Site!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement