🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can anyone help?

Started by
12 comments, last by Steve_M 17 years, 2 months ago
I am currently following NeHe's course on the main page and i want to write mails to him asking some questions ^.^...but i can't find his e-mail address anywhere. Can anyone tell me his e-mail address?
Advertisement
Not that I know from experience, I've never tried to contact him, but he's probably a busy fellow. You'll have better luck (or at worst, just as good) posting your questions here -- there are plenty of knowledgeable people who are familiar with the tutorials who can help you out.
Oh, i am under the project of creating a firework scene, anyone can give me the source code of a nice firework scene? (with sound effect)
Thanks alot :)
nehe is run and maintained by gamedev.net now, they have formed a group that is working on updating the tutorials.

if you have questions that is what this section of the forum is for.

post and we will reply.
Quote: Original post by ChipChip
Oh, i am under the project of creating a firework scene, anyone can give me the source code of a nice firework scene? (with sound effect)

You have presented your question as:
Problem: Make a firework scene
Solution: Can you do it for me?

No-one is going to build your project for you - however, if you have a specific part of the project that is troubling you, I'm sure if you ask a specific question you will receive answers.

Sorry to sound rude, but you need to learn how to ask questions.
No no, ofcourse i am not asking for anyone to do it for me, i am doing a project and i will do it myself for my own sake, i just want to see an example of a fireworks program (the code with comments is better :( ) so that i will know what i have to do, so i am just asking if anyone is having or knows where i can find a good example of it.
ok, I think what you're looking for is a tutorial on particle systems.

Once you understand how to make your own particle system (they can be pretty simple), you can use one to make fancy fireworks quite easily.

A 10 second google search found these - I havent read them in detail so I dont know if they're quite what you need, but theyre a starting point.
http://www.paraschopra.com/tutorials/particle-systems/index.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000623/vanderburg_01.htm
Take a look at lessons 09, 19 and 39.
These lessons describe pretty much everything you need to know to make a physics based particle engine, and with that you can make a nice firework scene
Oh, thank you very much and i have already learned lessons 9 and 19 today. I think i understand clearly how the particle system works (thanks to NeHe clear comments :) ).....but there is still one thing troubling me and i wish someone here will tell me how to do it:
-It maybe stupid of me to ask this but because i just started learning openGL 2 days ago so please be patient with this noob ^.^: i know how to make an explosion of firework now but i dont know how to creat some random fireworks going from the bottom of the screen and then explode at a random time.
-I dont know how to make the fireworks blow into some certain shapes (like ring or sphere), the only thing i know is random explosion ^.^.
Thanks much for helping me. (and please dont be angry if i asked stupid questions)
Remember: there are no stupid questions! (well perhaps there are some...[wink])

You have to structure your fireworks (best way is OOP, hope you're familiar with that) like classes for different kinds of rockets, then differ the direction in which you shoot a bit using the rand() function (see http://www.cppreference.com/stdother/rand.html). Each rocket class has to contain a particle system which explodes at a time you can get using rand() again.

Different shapes are created using different settings in your particle explosion.
Give the particles a fixed speed and generate a random direcion using something like
int i=rand();sin(PI/180*i)//for x cos(PI/180*i)//for z
Then you'll see a disk, where the particles will fall down after the explosion, you can also vary the y coordinate in the same way to get a sphere or
just emit particles within the first few frames to get a ring.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement