🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help me please!

Started by
2 comments, last by ChipChip 17 years, 2 months ago
I have just written a firework program and fixed all bugs but the result is not what i want: -The scene i imagine: Some fireworks going from the bottom of the screen and then explode. -The scene i get: A black screen and a white particle blinking in the bottom of the screen. I have looked at my code carefully but still can't find the reason, can someone tell me the possible reasons for my unwanted results? Thanks alot. :)
Advertisement
at this point you will have to post the parts of you code which you think are relevant to displaying the fireworks, and we can look for obvious oversights in that code. Use the tags (without the space) to put source code into a post on game dev.
Oh yes, here is the section of code i think it is relevant to displaying the fireworks: (i am really sorry because you have to look at the code of a beginner like this :( )

typedef struct							float	r,g,b;					// Particle's Colors	float	x,y,z;					// Particle's Position	float	xi,yi,zi;				// Particle's Movement}particle;							// Particles Structuretypedef struct						// Create A Structure For Firework{	float x,y;						// Firework's Position	float xi,yi;					// Firework's Movement	particle body[BODY_PARTICLES];	// Body of Firework	particle tail[TAIL_PARTICLES];	// Tail of Firework	int starttime;					// Time the firework was set	int duration;					// How long it will last	int style;						// Picture it should create}Firework;Firework Fireworks[10];void SetupFirework(int i)								// Setup the new firework variables{	int clr;	float rnum;	clr=rand()%3;		Fireworks.starttime=ElapsedTime;	Fireworks.duration=rand()%1000+3000;	Fireworks.x=1.0f*(rand()%20-10);	Fireworks.y=-20.0f;	Fireworks.xi =(rand()*2-1)/80.0f;	Fireworks.yi =(rand()+1.5f)/80.0f;	Fireworks.style =rand()%10;	for (loop=0;loop<BODY_PARTICLES;loop++)						// Initials All The Textures	{				if (Fireworks.style < 2) 		{			rnum = (rand()/6.0f +0.4f)/10.0f*EXPLOSION_SIZE;		}		else		{			rnum = (rand()/10.0f -0.05f)*EXPLOSION_SIZE;		}		Fireworks.body[loop].xi =rnum* cos(loop/10.0f);		Fireworks.body[loop].yi =rnum* sin(loop/10.0f);		Fireworks.body[loop].zi =rnum* cos(loop/4.0f);		Fireworks.body[loop].x =Fireworks.body[loop].xi;		Fireworks.body[loop].y =Fireworks.body[loop].yi;		Fireworks.body[loop].z =Fireworks.body[loop].zi;		if (clr == 0)  Fireworks.body[loop].r =rand()/3.0f + 0.7f; else Fireworks.body[loop].r =rand()/3.0f + 0.4f;		if (clr == 1)  Fireworks.body[loop].g =rand()/3.0f + 0.7f; else Fireworks.body[loop].g =rand()/3.0f + 0.4f;		if (clr == 2)  Fireworks.body[loop].b =rand()/3.0f + 0.7f; else Fireworks.body[loop].b =rand()/3.0f + 0.4f;			}	for (loop=0;loop<TAIL_PARTICLES;loop++)	{		Fireworks.tail[loop].x=0.0f;		Fireworks.tail[loop].y=0.0f;		Fireworks.tail[loop].z= 50.0f + rand()%50;             // will act as duration for particle		Fireworks.tail[loop].xi=-0.7f*Fireworks.xi;		Fireworks.tail[loop].yi=-rand()/20-0.001f;		if (clr == 0)  Fireworks.tail[loop].r =rand()/3.0f + 0.8f; else Fireworks.tail[loop].r =rand()/3.0f + 0.4f;		if (clr == 1)  Fireworks.tail[loop].g =rand()/3.0f + 0.8f; else Fireworks.tail[loop].g =rand()/3.0f + 0.4f;		if (clr == 2)  Fireworks.tail[loop].b =rand()/3.0f + 0.8f; else Fireworks.tail[loop].b =rand()/3.0f + 0.4f;			}}void FireworkTail(int i){	int j;	glTranslatef(Fireworks.x, Fireworks.y, 0);  // the main part of the rocket	glColor3f(1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f);    	glBegin(GL_QUADS);		glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(-1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f);		glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f( 1.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f);		glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f( 1.0f,  1.0f, 0.0f);		glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(-1.0f,  1.0f, 0.0f);	glEnd();  // the tail of the rocket	glBegin(GL_QUADS);    for (j=0;j<TAIL_PARTICLES;j++)	{	  glColor4f(Fireworks.tail[j].r, Fireworks.tail[j].g, Fireworks.tail[j].b, Fireworks.tail[j].z/100.0f);    // here Z is used as the alpha value      glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(Fireworks.tail[j].x-1.0f, Fireworks.tail[j].y-1.0f, 0.0f);      glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(Fireworks.tail[j].x+1.0f, Fireworks.tail[j].y-1.0f, 0.0f);      glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(Fireworks.tail[j].x+1.0f, Fireworks.tail[j].y+1.0f, 0.0f);      glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(Fireworks.tail[j].x-1.0f, Fireworks.tail[j].y+1.0f, 0.0f);      Fireworks.tail[j].x =Fireworks.tail[j].x+Fireworks.tail[j].xi;      Fireworks.tail[j].y =Fireworks.tail[j].y+Fireworks.tail[j].yi;      Fireworks.tail[j].z =Fireworks.tail[j].z-1;      if (Fireworks.tail[j].z == 0.0f) 	  {        Fireworks.tail[j].x = 0.0f;		Fireworks.tail[j].y = 0.0f;        Fireworks.tail[j].z =50.0f + rand()%50;	  }    }	glEnd();}void FireworkExplode(int i){	int j;    float slowdown;	glTranslatef(Fireworks.x, Fireworks.y, 0.0f);	glBegin(GL_QUADS);    	for (j=0;j<BODY_PARTICLES;j++)	{			glColor4f(Fireworks.body[j].r, Fireworks.body[j].g, Fireworks.body[j].b, 1.8f-(ElapsedTime-Fireworks.starttime-1000)/1200.0f);        glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(Fireworks.body[j].x-1.0f, Fireworks.body[j].y-1.0f, Fireworks.body[j].z);        glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(Fireworks.body[j].x+1.0f, Fireworks.body[j].y-1.0f, Fireworks.body[j].z);        glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(Fireworks.body[j].x+1.0f, Fireworks.body[j].y+1.0f, Fireworks.body[j].z);        glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(Fireworks.body[j].x-1.0f, Fireworks.body[j].y+1.0f, Fireworks.body[j].z);        // Calculate the new coords based on the change, dX, in a direction        // and slow the change down as time goes by.        slowdown =((ElapsedTime-Fireworks.starttime-1000) - pow((float)(1000+Fireworks.starttime-ElapsedTime),2)/5000.0f)/6.0f;        Fireworks.body[j].x =Fireworks.body[j].xi * slowdown;        Fireworks.body[j].y =Fireworks.body[j].yi * slowdown;        Fireworks.body[j].z =Fireworks.body[j].zi * slowdown;	}  glEnd();	}void glDraw(){	int i;    float slowdown;	glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);    // Clear The Screen And The Depth Buffer	glLoadIdentity();                                       // Reset The View	glTranslatef(0.0,0.0,-50.0f);	for (i=0;i<= nFireworks-1;i++) 	{		glPushMatrix();		// Display the firework		if (ElapsedTime-Fireworks.starttime < 1000) 		{						FireworkTail(i);		}		else		{			FireworkExplode(i);		}      // create a new firework      if (ElapsedTime - Fireworks.starttime - Fireworks.duration >=0) 	  {		 		  SetupFirework(i);				  }      // keep moving and slowing down firework      slowdown =pow((float)(Fireworks.starttime-ElapsedTime),2);      Fireworks.x =Fireworks.xi * ((ElapsedTime-Fireworks.starttime) - slowdown/7000.0f);      Fireworks.y =Fireworks.yi * ((ElapsedTime-Fireworks.starttime) - slowdown/4500.0f) - 20.0f;    glPopMatrix();	}}int InitGL(GLvoid)										// All Setup For OpenGL Goes Here{	int i;	if (!LoadGLTextures())								// Jump To Texture Loading Routine	{		return FALSE;									// If Texture Didn't Load Return FALSE	}	glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH);							// Enable Smooth Shading	glClearColor(0.0f,0.0f,0.0f,0.0f);					// Black Background	glClearDepth(1.0f);									// Depth Buffer Setup	glDisable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);							// Disable Depth Testing	glEnable(GL_BLEND);									// Enable Blending	glBlendFunc(GL_SRC_ALPHA,GL_ONE);					// Type Of Blending To Perform	glHint(GL_PERSPECTIVE_CORRECTION_HINT,GL_NICEST);	// Really Nice Perspective Calculations	glHint(GL_POINT_SMOOTH_HINT,GL_NICEST);				// Really Nice Point Smoothing	glEnable(GL_TEXTURE_2D);							// Enable Texture Mapping	glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D,texture[0]);			// Select Our Texture		nFireworks=3;	for (i=0;i<=nFireworks-1;i++)	{				SetupFirework(i);		Fireworks.starttime=-1000*i;	}	return TRUE;										// Initialization Went OK}

And this section i put in the WINAPI WinMain:

int WINAPI WinMain(	HINSTANCE	hInstance,			// Instance					HINSTANCE	hPrevInstance,		// Previous Instance					LPSTR		lpCmdLine,			// Command Line Parameters					int			nCmdShow)			// Window Show State{	MSG		msg;									// Windows Message Structure	BOOL	done=FALSE;								// Bool Variable To Exit Loop	DWORD   DemoStart, LastTime;	DemoStart = GetTickCount();					// Get Time when demo started	// Ask The User Which Screen Mode They Prefer	if (MessageBox(NULL,"Would You Like To Run In Fullscreen Mode?", "Start FullScreen?",MB_YESNO|MB_ICONQUESTION)==IDNO)	{		fullscreen=FALSE;							// Windowed Mode	}	// Create Our OpenGL Window	if (!CreateGLWindow("Da Great Firework Show",640,480,16,fullscreen))	{		return 0;									// Quit If Window Was Not Created	}		while(!done)									// Loop That Runs While done=FALSE	{		if (PeekMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0,PM_REMOVE))	// Is There A Message Waiting?		{			if (msg.message==WM_QUIT)				// Have We Received A Quit Message?			{				done=TRUE;							// If So done=TRUE			}			else									// If Not, Deal With Window Messages			{				TranslateMessage(&msg);				// Translate The Message				DispatchMessage(&msg);				// Dispatch The Message			}		}		else										// If There Are No Messages		{							LastTime =ElapsedTime;			ElapsedTime =GetTickCount() - DemoStart;     // Calculate Elapsed Time			ElapsedTime =(LastTime + ElapsedTime) / 2; // Average it out for smoother movement			glDraw();                           // Draw the scene			SwapBuffers(hDC);                  // Display the scene			// Draw The Scene.  Watch For ESC Key And Quit Messages From DrawGLScene()			if (keys[VK_ESCAPE])	// Active?  Was There A Quit Received?			{				done=TRUE;							// ESC or DrawGLScene Signalled A Quit			}			else									// Not Time To Quit, Update Screen			{																if (keys[VK_F1])						// Is F1 Being Pressed?				{					keys[VK_F1]=FALSE;					// If So Make Key FALSE					KillGLWindow();						// Kill Our Current Window					fullscreen=!fullscreen;				// Toggle Fullscreen / Windowed Mode					// Recreate Our OpenGL Window					if (!CreateGLWindow("Da Great Firework Show",640,480,32,fullscreen))					{						return 0;						// Quit If Window Was Not Created					}				}			}		}	}	// Shutdown	KillGLWindow();									// Kill The Window	return (msg.wParam);							// Exit The Program}

And here is the link the my full program, i wrote it based on Nehe's lesson 19.
http://www.4shared.com/file/14133318/e2d0a749/Lesson19.html

[Edited by - ChipChip on April 15, 2007 10:13:01 AM]
Hey, i just figured out the stupid thing in my program that makes the unwanted results ^.^. That is because i set the movement speed of my firework to be too high :D.
Thanks everybody for looking into my code :D. I am so happy that my program is running now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement