🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Another newbie Problem

Started by
2 comments, last by Towner 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi all yet another newbie here. Im mainly a web designer and am fluent in the various web based languages...php,perl,java-script etc...can also do a bit in c++ and pascal. However I am currently trying to broaden my skills and have a begun a mission for a rather ambitious project. Basically im trying to design a websites which incorporates a very simple rpg like battlesystem which is turn based. Quite similar to the final fantasy systems. This will not be highly graphical and im expecting it to be almost all host based (as the programme will need to access an online mysql database). Bandwidth on the site is not a problem. Can anyone give me a good idea of how i should go about instigating this. What language what multiplayer protocol etc..(im thinking of the games starting via a lobby and also not using a lobby ie automatic so maybe directplay?) Id be greatful for any incite and a kick up the arse in the right direction.
Nevr forget that you are a true geek when you sit at a computer all day tearing your hair out.
Advertisement
Could you do it all with asp''s, pulling data from the database, and updating it when they did stuff?

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Well if i do it with asps how would I make a windowed type or even run it in a frame with java or something like that. Id prefer to use visual c++ personally far more flexible then I may be able to use a bit of directdraw or direct3d in it...also I have a mysql api for c++ but what network protocols do i need. Im too confused
Nevr forget that you are a true geek when you sit at a computer all day tearing your hair out.
You would have to use something like asp...if you want it in a browser...unless you want to write an applet...

and if your not going to do that...the only way to get it to work in a browser would be to make it shockwave or even worse an activex control (which then you limit your client to only MS browsers, I don''t know of any others that support activex controls in a web doc).

from the sound of things you want to make a client server type app...and would make sense to get the performace and flexability that you later may want.

You could use tcp or udp...from the sounds of it (turned base) udp would be the way to go...since your not sending anything vital ''real time''.

*shrug*

Jenison
''Things are more like they are now then they ever were before'' - Truman

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement