🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

An idea for a (MMO)RPG

Started by
8 comments, last by razoorsharp 17 years, 2 months ago
I've been writing stories about a fantasy world for quite some time now and I'd love to see it worked out in a game, however I do not have the time or resources to build the game myself, so if you're interested, post your email and I'll send you the full stories. Here's a view on the world that the story takes place in: The World of Ragnar: The North: In the north very few humans live. It's a harsh place with very few intelligent lifeforms. The only race known to dwell here in great numbers are the Iclese. The Iclese live in small tribes in the snowy forests and high mountains of the mainland as well as on the islands beyond the northern seashore. Orcs, Dwarves and Elves aren't uncommon in this barren land either, altough their settlements are more heavily defended or better hidden then their southern counterparts. The North knows three major realms: Nãrnnor, the Dwarven name for the thin line of Dwarven Villages and Forts on the slopes of the Icy Mountains, Cíclenaesa, the frozen realm of the High King of the Iclese and Tzalionor, the common name for the alliance of the many Gianor (a kind of Elves) villages. The West: The West is the name generally given to the lands on the western slope of the Granite Walls. It is inhabited by Humans, Orcs, Elves, Niargh and a few Dwarves and Iclese. The west has some of the richest and most flourishing cities of Ragnar, namely Myarceleston of the Elves and Port Cardonan and Miusciëtto of the Humans. When you go down from the Granite Walls, the first type of vegetation you'll encounter is grass, with various herbs scattered around, when you keep on going down, you'll start to see little trees, though sparsely. Only when the terrain starts to become easily walkable, you'll see forests, in which many different kinds of animals and beasts hide and hunt. This forest is miles wide and runs almost completely from the southern tip of Ragnar to its Northen tip and therefore know as the Endless Forest. On most places, the forest goes on until the coast, but here and there some little plains can be found. The West is for more populated than the North, which means that the people are less scattered and form realms quicker. As a result, the west knows many city-states, kingdoms and empires, however there are eight main realms, who are almost constantly in war with eachother and always try to gain teh upper hand in the area. First is the Kingdom of Myar, the greatest Elven Kingdom still intact. It's capital Myarceleston is one of the richest cities in the whole of Ragnar and the Elves are called the Myarion, which means inhabitants of heaven respectively. Second is the City-state of Miusciëtto. Whilst it doesn't command a large army or owns lots of land, the High Councellor of Miusciëtto has immense riches and the lords of Miusciëtto are clever diplomats. The Southern most realm is the Kingdom of Pak. It is home to the Men of Pak, a hardy, unforgiving people who are very skilled with the sword. The Men of Pak usually don't interfere with the peoples of the west, but when their homeland is threatened, they'll fight to the last man. To be continued...
Advertisement
Hmm, sounds neat! I'm working on a different project at the moment (roughly 50-75% done, depending on how much content design I do) which wouldn't fit well with this type of setting, but if you could send me what you're doing I'd love to put it to work. I'm considering outsourcing some of the graphics and content design for my current project so I'll probably have some in-between time for something fun like this. :)

Email: dlubarov at yahoo dot com

Thanks,
~Daniel
You'll probably have better luck on the
Help Wanted
forum.
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
Do I just copy&paste my original post to that Forum or is that illegal? (I'm new)
Quote: Original post by AGameDesigner
The West is for more populated than the North, which means that the people are less scattered and form realms quicker. As a result, the west knows many city-states, kingdoms and empires, however there are eight main realms, who are almost constantly in war with eachother and always try to gain teh upper hand in the area. First is the Kingdom of Myar, the greatest Elven Kingdom still intact. It's capital Myarceleston is one of the richest cities in the whole of Ragnar and the Elves are called the Myarion, which means inhabitants of heaven respectively. Second is the City-state of Miusciëtto. Whilst it doesn't command a large army or owns lots of land, the High Councellor of Miusciëtto has immense riches and the lords of Miusciëtto are clever diplomats. The Southern most realm is the Kingdom of Pak. It is home to the Men of Pak, a hardy, unforgiving people who are very skilled with the sword. The Men of Pak usually don't interfere with the peoples of the west, but when their homeland is threatened, they'll fight to the last man.

To be continued...

300 meets "Lord of the Rings"? Interesting. Tell us more.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

The Southern most realm is the Kingdom of Pak. It is home to the Men of Pak, a hardy, unforgiving people who are very skilled with the sword. The Men of Pak usually don't interfere with the peoples of the west, but when their homeland is threatened, they'll fight to the last man.

To be continued...

Continuation:

The most northen coastline that is still regarded as the West is inhabited by the Nitharthorn, a primitive race of Elves. They are forced to live as nomads due to the rough terrain. They call their land Kysthanor, which means coast of the Elves. It's a rocky coast with a strip of land of only a couple of hundred feet wide, after which the thick woods of the Endless Forest begin. The forces of the Nitharthorn are spread out and unorganized, but their stealth, swiftness and skill at arms more than makes up for this. It is a foolish man indeed who wanders alone in the territories of the Nitharthorn. The Dwarven forts on the slopes of the Granite Walls are also worth mentioning. They form a strong belt that stretches from the Northern tip to the southern tip of Ragnar. The Dwarves have worked on their fortresses for aeons and holds like Khún-nador and Klippar-Khá are immense structures of marnle and granite, miles wide and unconquerable for an attacker. Most forts are part of the Council of Khanar, a mighty alliance that protects the Dwarven holds of Ragnar and in which all noteable fortresses have a seat. In the centre of the west lies a great plain, the only plain of the west, infact. The Humans of Fodir have made their home here. The Humans of Fodir, or Fodirnii as they are regularly called, are a folk born on horseback. They have patrolled and lived on the Lonely Plain (also known as The Stepp, or Fodirland)since the days of the Arcuin and even to this day, their ways haven't noteably changed. Tehy wield crude bronze weapons from their steeds and live in primitive nomadic huts. They are experts at horseriding and the Fodirnii living abroad usually make themselves a living as messengers or bandits, whilst the peoples of Stepp usually live from hunting and raiding other tribes. Last is the Greganorian Empire. It arguably is the greatest realm of the west. The Empire is populated mostly by humans, although Elves (who usually belong to the Gianor or Nitharthorn race) and Dwarves (mostly Noblings)are not uncommon either. Cuurently, the Greganorian Empire is ruled by Emperor Tio the Tenth, a brave, but somewhat reckless leader. The armies of Greganoria are the most disciplined of the West, great hand-to-hand fighters and sure archers, but this power comes at a price. The Greganorians are mistrusted by teh other peoples of Ragnar because of their arrogance and power-abuse in the past. It is common knowledge that you shouldn't mess with a Greganorian.

Again, leave your email address for more info..
The Southern most realm is the Kingdom of Pak. It is home to the Men of Pak, a hardy, unforgiving people who are very skilled with the sword. The Men of Pak usually don't interfere with the peoples of the west, but when their homeland is threatened, they'll fight to the last man.

To be continued...

Continuation:

The most northen coastline that is still regarded as the West is inhabited by the Nitharthorn, a primitive race of Elves. They are forced to live as nomads due to the rough terrain. They call their land Kysthanor, which means coast of the Elves. It's a rocky coast with a strip of land of only a couple of hundred feet wide, after which the thick woods of the Endless Forest begin. The forces of the Nitharthorn are spread out and unorganized, but their stealth, swiftness and skill at arms more than makes up for this. It is a foolish man indeed who wanders alone in the territories of the Nitharthorn. The Dwarven forts on the slopes of the Granite Walls are also worth mentioning. They form a strong belt that stretches from the Northern tip to the southern tip of Ragnar. The Dwarves have worked on their fortresses for aeons and holds like Khún-nador and Klippar-Khá are immense structures of marnle and granite, miles wide and unconquerable for an attacker. Most forts are part of the Council of Khanar, a mighty alliance that protects the Dwarven holds of Ragnar and in which all noteable fortresses have a seat. In the centre of the west lies a great plain, the only plain of the west, infact. The Humans of Fodir have made their home here. The Humans of Fodir, or Fodirnii as they are regularly called, are a folk born on horseback. They have patrolled and lived on the Lonely Plain (also known as The Stepp, or Fodirland)since the days of the Arcuin and even to this day, their ways haven't noteably changed. Tehy wield crude bronze weapons from their steeds and live in primitive nomadic huts. They are experts at horseriding and the Fodirnii living abroad usually make themselves a living as messengers or bandits, whilst the peoples of Stepp usually live from hunting and raiding other tribes. Last is the Greganorian Empire. It arguably is the greatest realm of the west. The Empire is populated mostly by humans, although Elves (who usually belong to the Gianor or Nitharthorn race) and Dwarves (mostly Noblings)are not uncommon either. Cuurently, the Greganorian Empire is ruled by Emperor Tio the Tenth, a brave, but somewhat reckless leader. The armies of Greganoria are the most disciplined of the West, great hand-to-hand fighters and sure archers, but this power comes at a price. The Greganorians are mistrusted by teh other peoples of Ragnar because of their arrogance and power-abuse in the past. It is common knowledge that you shouldn't mess with a Greganorian.

Again, leave your email address for more info..
Quote: Original post by AGameDesigner
Do I just copy&paste my original post to that Forum or is that illegal? (I'm new)

The Help Wanted forum has a template they like you to follow, so copy and paste wouldn't work. I would use this thread to focus of the creative elements, and then start a new thread in the other forum with a basic overview and what you need as far as talent. It will help you get the feedback you're looking for in both cases.

As an aside, yes, cross-posting is discouraged.

But it looks like you have a interesting idea. Good luck with it!
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
Very nice, I am especially like the names you have come up with, one thing thou, in my opinion I believe that there are too many games like the one you are writing for example: World of Warcraft, Vangaurd, Dark Age of Camelot, etc. These are all great games thou, so I guess it is okay =P

Due to what I believe I am trying to create a story for a game based in the near future - 2021 to be exact =] This story is inspired by Huxley, a MMOFPS for Xbox 360 and PC, which is yet to be released.
__________"Stand your ground, this is ancient land."
very nice!
guess we have the same goald (and problems) i am desperatly in need of coders (c/c++)

I am also looking for people to link both worlds together .

maybe you would like to take a look at mine aswell.

www.kingdomsofhayr.org
Check the forum for more info .. page contains little , the forum allot more

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement