🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

They are afraid of my client!

Started by
8 comments, last by Jabba 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi, We have just finished a nice free online space strategy game (see the apropriate announce at "Your announcements" :-)) but people don''t want to play it under suspicion that it is a trojan virus!!!What do you recommand to get them rid of that fear?It might be that I did not put a legal burble somewhere in the about screen? Regards, Jabba
The Truth Is Not To Be Spoken In A Loud Voice
Advertisement
Taking liability is a very bad idea. However, you could of course try to look more official, maybe even get some "certificate" for the program to lull paranoid users.
Or you could make the program open source

cu,
Prefect

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Taking liability is a very bad idea. However, you could of course try to look more official, maybe even get some "certificate" for the program to lull paranoid users.
Or you could make the program open source

cu,
Prefect

I am a sustainer of the open source phenomenon, but I don''t think I can do that here.If I make the program Open Source it means I have worked a year for nothing since I''m quite confident that I will only atract some programmers who will find those open sources interesting enough to develop better games based on them - I''m being modest here - and still no new players will came in and play mine - because the Regular Joe will not bother learning to use a compiler in order to play my game.So what''s the catch?

Best regards,
Jabba

how about just saying "Hey, download my client, if you think theres a trojan in it, run a virus scan on it."

simple as that.
426 KB would make one huge trojan . It''s clean if anyone is wondering and hasn''t gotten the point of this thread yet .

"Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything." -- How a C manual referred to a "pointer to void." --Things People Said
http://druidgames.cjb.net/
actually i remember the subseven server to be about 450k
There''s one that you can attach to any file which is only like 10k. It opens a backdoor so you can download and run another trojan on the affected computer.

You have to expect a trust issue especially with a client/server program. Virus scan software wouldn''t detect if your copying files from their drive and sending them to your computer. Or if you''re scanning their registry for information. It only picks up known viruses and technically such a client wouldn''t be a virus.

You can''t convince them it''s not going to do any of the above unless you open the source or have a company name to back it. A real one that''s registered and that has telemarketers regularly bugging you by calling while you''re coding. Or if it''s just a really really cool looking game.

For now, just don''t worry about it. If people don''t download it there could be plenty of reasons. Just keep doing your thing.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

Anyway, thank you "Null and Void" for helping me with this "encouragement"

Jabba

Still strange... are you sure these worried people are really "Joe Public"? Usually people aren''t so sceptic with accepting files from other people. After all, those are the people who open mails like I LOVE YOU from business colleagues.
Ah well...

cu,
Prefect

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement