🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

NEW take on Terrain graphics modeling?

Started by
5 comments, last by newbie 24 years, 7 months ago
Well , it sounds interesting, but the graphics quality in the actual version is not very good and it only works in a very small window. Perhaps with hardware acceleration it will look better.
As far as i understood the engine draws horizontal curves. I can't imagine how to draw textures onto these curves.

[This message has been edited by TheMummy (edited November 29, 1999).]

Advertisement
The current version definitely seems very limited for a demo. Im assuming the advantage to his system is that you can model an entire world in a small amount of space, but the graphical representation is pretty limited currently.

-Geoff

Modelling large maps in little space is easily achieved using splines. The maps on http://www.hexadome.net takes up less than 1K.

(Yes, they are rendered in 2D, but they didn't have to be).

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
How exactly would i do to make a 3d map with splines?
Jonatan Hedborg
There are various ways, depending on what you want to achieve, and what means you have available.

You could create triangles for the visible part of the splineset (I.e. evaluate the spline at particular points and create a mesh from it).

You can also render the spline directly to the screen (I.e. evaluate the spline for each pixel) for higher precision (but that eliminates HW acceleration).

The point in using splines is that you have essentially unlimited precision - no zooming artifacts. The drawback is that they are no good for sharp edges.

If you are unfamiliar with splines, I strongly suggest reading CGPP by Foley, van Dam, Feiner and Hughes.

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
Hi everyone,

I came across this site on the web, the concept sounds good.
http://www.nervana.com/

Basically using a NEW more efficient algorithm to create better and more detailed terrain graphics. That even low end computers can render.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I want to know other peoples opinions out there? Is this technology something worth pursuing or will current 3D solutions still win out in the end. Because of ever increasing computer power?

I try to make a surface out of a NURBS . (the user should be able to enter some vertices and the wheight of these points). I wanted to use the glu-Extension glu_ext_nurbs_tesselator but I haven't found a description of it yet. And I think the glu32.dll form Microsoft doesn't support it .Are there any other libraries to tesselate a NURBS .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement