🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adult Target Audience

Started by
2 comments, last by GeneDefekt 16 years, 11 months ago
I have a question. I am currently writing the script for my game and it is heavily based on adult themes. The closest example storywise would be Xenogears/saga. And even that isn't THAT close. The question is, is there a large enough demand for a storyline based game with central themes in revenge, rebellion, and death? I spend a lot of time on various Xeno boards where the fans are upset at the complete lack of storyline based games. I actually share their sentements, but I want to know if this is just a small niche of gamers. I have a second question but I don't expect an answer to this one to be very likely. I notice that most games that take this approach often recieve bad treatment from publishers and often are cancelled midseries. Which publisher do you think would be most likely to go with the idea? I left the story out because I didn't think you would care. If you do I'd be happy to post a summary if you ask for it.
Advertisement
Um, are you thinking a publisher is going to buy your script and turn it into a game? I really wish it worked that way, but it doesn't, game studios either option an existing IP, have their own staff writers create several original concepts of which one is approved by the producer, or the lead game designer of a studio decides what the story is going to be. Game studios generally do not accept script submissions in the way movie studios and book publishers sometimes do. On the other hand if you are programming the game and marketing a playable demo which just needs additional art, that might work.

Other than that, I would comment that it's hard to find a game story which isn't about revenge in at least a minor way, and revenge is popular as a teen theme, I'm not sure why you are labeling it an adult theme. Death might or might not be an adult theme, depends on what you're doing with it. Generally death can be done as a teen theme in either a gory combat-focused way or in a tragic mourning-focused way, it's only an adult theme if it is both gory and tragic, or if there is disturbing psychology involved.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

It's all in the psychology involved. Should have been more specific. Also I know that they aren't going to buy the script, but as a third party developer my team will need a publisher to accept and stick their logo on it at some point. Sorry for confusing you. I know how it works. ^^
"The question is, is there a large enough demand for a storyline based game with central themes in revenge, rebellion, and death? "

These Themes are already running rampant in the video games of today. So I don't understand when you say is there large enough demand.

I am somewhat confused about the Adult topics you are speaking of.

Also, There is a very large group of individuals who love story driven games. A good story is a good story period.

So if by Adult themes you mean mature then don't worry there is plenty of room for it.

Good Luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement