🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MOD community

Started by
4 comments, last by Gaiiden 23 years ago
you know - everyone always says that the best way to get noticed or build up experience in game design is to make a game mod. I mean, look at the makers of Team Fortress for cryin out loud. Anyways, what's GameDev's stance on the mod community? I haven't made any mods yet but the urge to is growing, especially with cool games like Deus Ex, Homeworld, and Half-life to fiddle around with, among others. I'm thinkin a forum for mod makers - but I haven't seen too much mod talk around the boards. Who else thinks mod-making is a good step towards proper game development? I do, especially if you plan on a full conversion, then the mod tools become the regular tools you would use in a normal development. Maybe a poll on who would be interested in mod coverage? I like your hardware idea, so maybe this could be next on the list? What do you think? ============================== "Need more eeenput..." - #5, "Short Circuit" ============================== Edited by - Gaiiden on April 19, 2001 10:14:37 AM

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
Honestly, I''ve always liked the idea of us having some mod development discussion, articles, whatever. The problem, however, is the vast amount of information and games out there that support modding. So, GameDev''s stance I don''t know because I haven''t talked to the others about it, but my stance is that I like it, and maybe in the future we can do more for the mod community. We''ll see..

Kevin+

Admin for GameDev.net.

it''s been about a month, so have we made any decisions yet? I''m still liking it and I''m already designing a level for Deus Ex. fun fun fun....

==============================
"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

*nudge nudge* *wink wink*

"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I think this is a good idea too. It is a good way to get into game development on fairly new/high tech games before becoming a programming guru, and GameDev should try and support it. As for there being too many games to keep track of, just tell people to post the game their mod question concerns in brackets in the topic, or empty set/no brakcets for mod questions in general. Tell them this in the line describing the forum on the forums page.

Ex: Topic: {Quake 3} New Jump pad design question

That way people can skip specific games they don''t like. Anyway, a mod forum would be neat.

--OctDev
The Tyr project is here.
hey if you guys on staff want me to start an affiliate site or something I''d be more than willing to do so. All I''m doing now is writing articles and thinking up game ideas. I don''t want to actually make an entire game yet, but finish out college first. In the meantime it would be great if I could do some mods and I think starting here with this community I''m already comfortable with would be great. Just another idea. I''ll shut up now

"Need more eeenput..."
- #5, "Short Circuit"

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement