Advertisement

[Discussion] RPG vs MMORPG

Started by August 17, 2007 03:49 AM
10 comments, last by Athos 17 years ago
Have none of you played Guild wars?

You start in a town, and by following the story, you unlock new areas. (you can cheat, and just run a long way, but the monsters get higher lvled as you go) You can choose to stay in one area and do side quests, or go back and re-do quests, but it's all tied into the great story. It's exactly what you guys are calling perfect. I would suggest checking it out.
Welcome to the zoo.Watch out for flying poo.If any animals get out from herebe sure and tell us who.
Quote: Original post by Zoological

i am not sure what you are trying to bring to the discussion by mentioning one of the worst examples of rpg games there is.
Guildwars is a hybrid of rpg and mmorpg. With a static and boring world very shallow story between the cities. And very static gameplay.

And genneraly
RPG = hopefully multi ending game with flexible storyline depending on your choises.
MMORPG = History matters more then the story. Becouse you are not playing an adventure you are writing one. Though to many of todays mmos are to static to truly create the adventur one would like to have. And especially wow as it is "The game dosnt start untill you are max level".
In mmo's the player choies should influensce the world and its development.
But the main problem with this is the stress it puts on the designers developers and artists creating new content at an great rate.
Also the way ac had with montly episodes is great way to do it. But whats the point trying to rp in a game witch is static and you never can make true of your rp threats?

Prelog:
the ratio is about 60 good 40 evil players on the server since more players like to play good hero.

Bad MMO game
Player1[good] ~ If i see your people here agian we shall raise arms and march to your homeland and slay your captial city.
Player2[evil] ~ Hah you can slay the king him self if you want i dont care he will respawn in 2 hours anyway and anything you do aginst us wont scratch our buildings.

Good mmo game
Player1[good] ~ If i see your people here agian we shall raise arms and march to your homeland and slay your captial city.
Player2[evil] ~ Oh noes. Like i care. *Contines dustibing the good village members
..week later..
Player2[evil]...logs online starting zone hometown
Player2[evil].../yell Guys wtf happend here? i cant find the smith
Random[evil] /yell thay killed em all and burnd our homes due to you worm
Random2[evil] You better get your ass to work or you will be on kos of our guards. We reported you to the landlord for messing outside of your resteriction

you get the point.
and hopefully players will know enough of the game at the point that ones action can cause a m ajor uproar effecting hundreds maby thousands of players.

wtb profit and penelty from choies you make in online games.
-Truth is out there-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement