🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New (free) FPS niche idea

Started by
6 comments, last by Trevwa89 16 years, 11 months ago
Alright, after reading all the "do and don't" posts in this forum, I think I will spell out my game idea in the hopes that I will find out the (general) publics idea on such a game. To better help understand how Icame across this idea, I will provide some (short) history. When my friends and I were discussing on how would like our game to be, we all decided that it had to be a reality based FPS. Our game would no matter what be a free and (eventually) open-source game. WE first thought of making a CS:S style game, with a terrorist and counter team fighting one another. Then I thought, "isnt that genre pretty full with some really nice games such as Urban Terror?" And indeed it was (is). So here is our alternate game genre idea for a Reality Based FPS. Don't be afraid to share your input. Game Name: Operation: Red Thunder The game begins with our "player" in a U.S military airport, all laden up and ready to make a night HALO jump into a yet unknown territory. All his C.O will tell anyone is that "Its time for those ch*nks to get their dues." It turns out that when the U.S pulled out of Iraq in 2009, Iran, seeing this as a great oppurtunity to regain lost territory from the 80's, decided to invade Iraq during its bloody civil war. This in turn ticks off the U.S and the U.N, which impose a massive embargo and sanctions on Iran. This in turn ticks off China, who has had enough of the U.S "running the world" and so they decide to back up Iran in the war to regain Iraq, and to help North Korea to invade SK, massacre-ing all 30,000 U.S soldiers stationed at Camp Casey. This unearths a hidden pact between Russia and China which states that if China ever goes to war with the U.S, they will back up China. This is where our player comes in. The U.S joins up with Australia, Britian, Germany, Finland, Switzerland, France, Japan and Israel. In the game, the player will interact with AI from all of these nations, including the "Axis" countries. The actual fighting will take place from the Afghanistan/China Border, where the player will push east in campaign style fighting. The player will fight along with anywhere from a squad sized force to hundreds of friendlies. The game-play and graphics will be comparable to AA or Armed Assault. The game will feature SP campaign mode and MP objective based mode (like W:Enemy Territory.) Thank you for taking the time to review our game outline, and I would greatly appreciate avid FPS players opinions on this idea, so that our "dev group" can begin A.S.A.P. -*Rang3r1*-
Advertisement
Sounds like a story line, not really a game idea. The only game elements I gathered there were FPS and squads/allies. What is the GAME itself?
Or to summarize:
Quote:
Here's my game idea:
Armed Assault with a different storyline

Hmm, I don't know... Why not just play Armed Assault then?
Don't you have anything new on the gameplay front? Or, for that matter, graphics?

As for the story.... Well, I suppose it's on par for the course... But do all FPS games realyl have to have the same old repetetive and predictable storylines? "You're a US soldier fighting against the bad guys from other countries" have been done a few times before, you know.
Aye, playing US guys against the rest of the world isn't fun anymore. It probably never was with exception of Wolfenstein, but hey, that was a fresh idea back then. Also, making China and Russia the "bad guys" (axis? what the hell?) is not really original. But if you make the game with ultra-superb new generation 3d engine it will sell ;)
Nothing above really grabbed me as fresh or unique. Tell us about the gameplay and how it helps to set your idea apart from the rest of those shooters (which, ironically, shouldn't be hard since so many are alike).
Beyond everything other people said, I'm pretty uncomfortable with a game with that blatant racism showing through with the use of the word "ch*nks". I'm not Chinese but it makes me uncomfortable. Perhaps a less racist word or even better no racism? You could call them "f***ers" or something like that. But very offensive racist words are, in my opinion, still not something that should be tossed into a game lightly or at all.
I guess I could elaborate more on how the game will set itself apart from others.

1. It will be free (not like America's Army free, like Tremulous free)
2. It will also be open source
3. It will contain a single player story line and multiplayer as well (most free games of this type are multi only)
4. It will have higher end graphics for a freeware game (using a heavily modified version of the ioquake engine, in fact the highest the engine can produce)
5. It will be of better quality than most free games out there, closer to a professional build.
6. It will have user controlled vehicles and aircraft.
7. The game will not be ten or twelve small maps, but one giant map, with all terrain possible from mountains to urban sprawls. (We are still trying to milk out the longest horizon draw)

And when I meant it was like Armed Assault, I meant a free version of it, which is accesible to everyone. We also thought about having the game be played from a different country's perspective, but most people we polled said that the U.S is a better candidate for this type of game (and so does my dev team and I.)
Some other cadidates were China, Russia, England, South Korea Australia and Japan.

And if I offended anyone with the previous remark, I apologize. It was used in unintentional arrogance on my part. I was just trying to set the scene, not implying racism in the game or on the part of the dev team. The actual game will not include any racist remarks or innuendo.
to start off, i am not racist or prejudice at all.
that being said, i actually think that racist remarks are smart in games. they grab gamers attention. it makes them think "holy crap, they must really not like these ch*nks". while it doesn't make the player character seem terribly intelligent, it does set a theme of international hate that would be present in a WWIII.
which is basicly what your game idea is (from what i can tell).
your game idea seemed fairly unoriginal, but very playable.
just to make this game more politically incorrect (which is a good thing, in my opinion), you could add something in about the US developing EMEW's (Environmental-Mass-Effect-Weapons). like hurrican generators, Earthquake spawners, and other things like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement