🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

idea for a game. comments and ideas appreciated.

Started by
9 comments, last by Anthony Serrano 16 years, 11 months ago
I have posted this idea before, but this version is a little more refined. However, be aware that this is a far from finished product, so your ideas on how to improve it would be hugely helpful and appreciated. as long as your comment isn't "this idea sucks, scrap it", i would be very grateful for your imput. please remember that this is all theoretical, chances are this game will never see the light of day. so here it is. Pre-story: Ever since god cast Lucifer out of heaven, it has been impossible to maintain a balance of good and evil throughout the universe. With every supernatural being in heaven an equilibrium could be maintained. However, once they were broken up the universe was in a constant imbalance of good and evil. Gods’ forces could not always hold the forces of satan at bay, therefore there were (and are) bouts of massive horror and hatred (along with bouts of greatness and love). Unfortunately God is not immortal, as everyone presumed. It is rare that fathers see their sons die, and god is no exception. His creation/ son, lucifer, has outlived his father. The ramifications of this event are disastrous. Before Jesus has time to claim his fathers throne, the forces of Hell overthrow heaven. Jesus, the last remaining hope of goodness is taken prisoner and thrown into the ninth layer of hell. Earth is a representation of all of the otherworldly happenings, and as a result, it is thrown into the apocalypse. Nations steadily grow more unstable, war becomes more frequent, and the crime rate triples throughout. oddly enough, evangelists are also on the rise. Without any sort of equilibrium left, the universe is (more or less) doomed. But hope is created out of evil. A female angel named Tariro causes this hope. As the forces of hell tear through heaven, she manages to befriend a duke of hell. This dukes name is Facalor. So it goes that soon after they bond and form a child. This child is the last hope for the universe. By being both angelic and demonic, he can infiltrate the demons and have angelic conscience. Facolar and Tariro know that they cannot keep the hellion/cherub, as Satan had already caught wind of their relationship and was hunting them down. Lucifer takes it on his shoulders to take the kid to earth and put him under some ones care. unfortunately, he is ambushed, barely gets through the atmosphere, and crash-lands beside a roman catholics house in Maryland. As it turns out, nothing better could have happened. The guys name is Diego luz, a yoga teacher in Baltimore. Just before Lucifer dies, he transfers all of the events that have happened in the heavens to diego via his demonic ability to get into peoples heads. So Diego gets stuck with the worlds last hope. He decides to raise him. Diego names the hellion/cherub Seth. For ten years he teaches him everything he knows. Note: this guy is a yoga teacher only so i can add in the idea of gun kata later. The game starts. Here's the full description of scene one, but the rest of the levels, i'll just give an outline. As for NPCs, i have them designed, but i won't put them on here. if anyone wants to see them, feel free to ask. Prologue The character wakes up 10 years after the pre-story. He lives with Diego Luz. He is an unwarped hellion. He wakes up and starts a routine (which he appears to do every day). the routine should teach the player how to move around, jump, and other basic movements. The main character (Seth) then starts another routine with Diego. This Routine should teach the player the basics of gun kata, without allowing the player to master it. During this the weather should get continually creepier outside, and Diego should start getting more antsy. Eventually, Diego should look out the window (partial interactive cutscene) and yell for Seth to go hide. As Seth is looking to hide, Diego gets plugged in the shoulder, wounding, but not killing him. The next part is a completely non-interactive cutscene. Seth is under a dresser( the view is his own) while Diego writhes on the floor, his shoulder/trap area destroyed. there is a bang as the door gets kicked down, and all you can see is two sets of feet next to Diego. Dialogue: Demon #1: Your time has come, Diego. Diego: Ah, but i know where my soul is going. Demon #2: we’ll meet you there (sniggering) Demon #1: Just tell us where the redeemer is. Diego: (starts a hiccuping laugh, and spits on the feet of the demon) My people do not collaborate with demons (holds up his crucifix) Demon #1: (reaches down, and snaps the crucifix) we shall see. an eternity of torture can change your mind eventually. (from diegos view, you only seea nightstick dome diego, killing him. Diego can than see his soul leaving, but the demon traps it in a small blue gem.) (the screen starts going blurry, off and on, as if tears are coming out of his eyes. player should be able to hear hard breathing, as if Seth is angry (which he is). Demon #1: Lets fan out, the fuckers’ got to be somewhere in this house. Demon #2: aye. (player can see their feet coming closer, and his breathing gets harder, and a fizzling, sort of cracking noise starts, and Seth starts screaming, as if in huge amounts of pain. Demon #2 reaches under and grabs Seth, hoisting him up to eye level Demon #2: Got ‘im. (maliciously happy) (both look down at Seths chest, which is starting to crack and smoke) Demon #1 and #2: Fuckin’ hell. (Demon #1 makes a complicated gesture and implodes) (the view then exits Seths eyes turns on him, zooms quickly out of the house (not clipping, going through the doors) The inside of the house explodes violently. the windows explode outward. The player should be able to see Diegos lifeless body tossed out a window from the force. Seth walks out, tears streaming down his face he runs to diegos body Seth: Diego!.. (putting his head against diegos chest he starts weeping, but notices a piece of binder paper sticking out of Diegos pocket. Seth takes the piece of paper, unfolds it, and begins to read. the scene blacks out slowly. The note is narrated in Diegos voice. Note: my son, If there is a neccesity for you to read this, your time has come. I have never had revelations on how you can complete your goal, how you can overcome both your greatness and your darkness, to achaive good. My blessing goes with you. This paper is inpregnated with your fathers skin. By profane abilities unknown to men as myself, you will learn everything you need in order to complete your task. Go forth, Profane Redeemer, the weight of the universe lies on your shoulders. Diego. (at this point, show Seth (while sniffling) eat and swallow the paper. show him have a crazy reaction, like can’t breathe, eyes crossed, acid trip. There should be flashing scenes of the past (see pre-story). there should then be an extended scene, showing (as if from someones own eyes) a path to a church, where it flashes over the name plate, in which all that is truly visible are the words “The Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary”. NOTE: that probably made no sense to you. The reason that the house exploded is because (in this game) angels and demons warp when they are faced with hugely traumatic events. the warp is a violent explosion, wherein the hellion/cherub becomes a full grown demon or saraphim. PLEASE, PLEASE, give your imput, even if it is to completely massacre my idea.
Advertisement
For the record, I am not one to be seen playing this type of game, but this one strikes me as unusual, and I think (riding on other factors such as how the game is built)I would play it.

Just a few questions,

Will a majority of the fighting be on earth, then hell, sort of like Half-Life?

The idea you laid out seems pretty dark, so I am wondering, will the game have a Silent Hill dark theme to it?

And in the beginning you said that the player would begin to learn gun kata but not master it, will during the process of playing do you learn new moves through ex.p or is there just a part when the player needs to accomplish a certain task that a move is taught?

Aside from that it seems to be a good idea for this type of game.

Also I have a question to ask you, but I'll pm you instead of posting it here.

-*Rang3r1*-
Just some things to be aware of:

Religion and Politics are never peaceful topics of conversation

People get mad when they think someone is screwing with their god

Not that I'm saying change anything, it is just a game after all, but technically, you have rearranged the christian cosmology in a big way.

So with that being said the movie Dogma did it and most people I know were fine with the idea.

I think the names of things will be a little hard to get down, at least I have trouble with it. I don't know what a Hellion is for instance.

It sounds like this is ultimately a long process of choosing good or evil with action in the middle. Not a bad idea I say. I think you should try that logline thing I've been reading about. Fit the whole idea of the game into a sentence. Take the movie Starship Troopers (If you've seen it) that could be: Earth is at war with space bugs. That pretty much sums up everything you'll see in it.

I think the ideas are real fluid right now, and that they need to firm up a little more. Keep on writing, that's what writers do. They write.
My goal would be not to demonize christianity, but i see your point. however, contraversy is not always bad.

A hellion is (more or less) a stereotypical imp. I decided to call it a hellion because A) It is different, and B) it sounds a huge amount more evil and demonic.
But i see your point. However, most of the characters and NPCs in this game have latin or germanic roots in their names, so they are not terribly unrecognizable.

As for a one liner, you have me stumped... One idea i had was "The war of heaven, fought by hell", but that's kinda lame. Any ideas?

As for where the game would be fought (this is my favorite part)
It would have a tiny bit fought on earth (prologue and the first level, and an intermission-style level between hell and heaven)
a little over half would be fought in hell. However, hell is very similar to the hell presented in Dante's Divine Comedy. Many of the bosses would be the guardians of each circle of hell. there are nine levels here.
a little under half would be fought in heaven. However, heaven has been twisted by Satans influence, so many of the angels are demented, and each level has a "boss". the boss is a character from another religion or ancient religion that the catholic church has deemed heresy or false. There are eight levels in heaven.
Finally, the last battle is in gods throne room. Satan commandeered the throne room, so you can see who the boss will be on this level.

This game should be kind of like the stealth game Hitman. While Stealth is rewarded, brute strength and violence are sometimes required. Flat killing for the sake of killing is not rewarded.

As for Gun Kata (used in the movie Equilibrium, for anyone who doesn't get the reference), the player would get rewarded for using it when neccisary. They would also get rewarded for using it effectively. In a way, it would be Exp. points. at the end of a level (if the player used Gun Kata well) he could choose a new stance/move that was relevent for his ability.

What do you think? any suggestions? Please, I love hearing feedback (even if its negative) on my ideas.
As a fair warning, I would bear in mind that your game could very well end up with no audience.

1). It excludes kids all-together because or religeous and violence factors. Trust me, this would be one that mothers would check under their kids matress for.

2). It is a very controvetial issue whether you're religious or not. Religious people (don't even try talking sense into them) will see the game as "blasphemous", and athiests will see the game as preaching. I would almost compare it to the "Left Behind" books, but without all the propoganda.

3). I say again, that whoever they are, people are not particularly attracted to religious themed games. Games like Age of Mythology are different because those religions died out a long time ago. Seriously, think about this... I don't like little kids cartoons, it's pretty obnoxious watching them, but I would MUCH rather watch Dora the Explorer than friggin veggie tales.

Idk, mayb when christianity dies out like the other religions have (belive me it will happen), you might be able to make this concept work. For now however, this would probably end up as a cult title, AKA, loved by the few and hated by the many.
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
Quote: Original post by TheKrust
Idk, mayb when christianity dies out like the other religions have (belive me it will happen), you might be able to make this concept work. For now however, this would probably end up as a cult title, AKA, loved by the few and hated by the many.

Concepts like this can work now. Just take a look at Final Fantasy Tactics; the religion in that game is basically Christianity with different names, and the game is deeply critical of both the church and the religion. Nevertheless, practically no one has attacked the game's content, and it is beloved by many.
Thanks for your imput. However, I think that some things are incorrect that you said.
1) violence has never stopped people from buying video games, as goes for satanic influences. DOOM is one of the best selling games in recent history, yet it is peppered with satanic references. GTA takes violence to a whole new level, yet it is one of the most popular games right now. Kids buy what they like. If this game was done well, it would still sell. I think.
2) This game is a video game, and people should view it as such. Just because it pulls some elements from an established religion doesn't mean that a right minded catholic would go ballistic. And it is not preaching to athiests, seeing that it clearly recognizes a god. It is an idea that is supposed to draw in and entertain the user, and no more than that.
3) I hope this idea did not come off as religious propaganda, because it's not supposed to be. Catholocism simply provided some of the fleshing out of this idea. a of it has very little to do with the religion (such as gameplay). You won't have irritating bell peppers quoting gospel, or evangelical morons telling you to improve your lifestyle. The point of this game is to be good or evil, depending on your preference.
Quote: Original post by Anthony Serrano
Concepts like this can work now. Just take a look at Final Fantasy Tactics; the religion in that game is basically Christianity with different names, and the game is deeply critical of both the church and the religion. Nevertheless, practically no one has attacked the game's content, and it is beloved by many.

This is true, and it's a nice way to water-down the religious references while at the same time keeping the whole story intact. It will take some effort, but figuring out good alternative names for all of the characters could benefit the game in the long run. Most artists keep their influences but cut the direct references (names and all). With this degree of subjectivity it's also less obvious what the creator's intentions are, making the whole story seem more "artistic" in a way.
Quote: Original post by Trevwa89
1) violence has never stopped people from buying video games, as goes for satanic influences. DOOM is one of the best selling games in recent history, yet it is peppered with satanic references.

True, but I was reffering to the combination of the 2 elements. I would hardly count DOOM as a religious game. For one, it never reffers to god, so it stays very one sided.

2) This game is a video game, and people should view it as such.

The key word is SHOULD. I completley agree, but a lot of times "should" and "do" don't have the same agenda. Passion of the Christ SHOULD have been just a movie. A teacher saying "I hate the government" SHOULD be just a personal statment. So you can see where "should" and "do" don't always agree.

Just because it pulls some elements from an established religion doesn't mean that a right minded catholic would go ballistic.

As mentioned before, religions a touchy subject that... well... frankly most people don't care, but you can end up on the news or possibly a law suit thanks to the %.2 percent of our lovable fanatic population.

And it is not preaching to athiests, seeing that it clearly recognizes a god. It is an idea that is supposed to draw in and entertain the user, and no more than that.

Absolutley, but realise that most athiests are used to having people TRYING to shove religion down their throughts. Whether it be their parents, friends, or people that go door to door offering pamphlts saying that the end of the world is next thrusday. It will be rather hard to communicate to such a person if they put up their "defenses" as soon as the game goes into this factor. From my experience, that is the natural reaction of people. Remember that atheism is technically a religion too simply because it's a belief system, it's just a belief in nothing. I have encountered very few athiests in my life that don't start bursting out laughing if you even mention religion.

You're not doing anything wrong here, but people will assume that you are. When you come right down to it, does it really matter beyond that?

3) I hope this idea did not come off as religious propaganda, because it's not supposed to be.

Not at all. And sorry if my response seems like a rebuttle against propoganda.

Catholocism simply provided some of the fleshing out of this idea. a of it has very little to do with the religion (such as gameplay).

Right, like DOOM. I would be very interested to see the design document for DOOM 3 and see how many religious references there are compared to the actual game. Besides that, DOOM only brings up the topic of the devil, or more accuratley, a source for all evil. That is a universal subject that can apply to almost every religion. When you get into a single god, Jesus, Lucifer, ect. that's when people start getting judgmental.

You won't have irritating bell peppers quoting gospel, or evangelical morons telling you to improve your lifestyle.

Hmmmm, well you could have a bonus round with a grenade launcher :D

Don't get me wrong, the concept is good, if a only little too hacked into by other games (hence the idea of a ragnorock where good vs evil and you choose a side). I think probably the way to go is to present the story as little directly as possible. To do this, don't straight up tell the player anything. Have the world spin out of control and then at certain points have the player either read or listen to suggestive dialouge from the church, or have him overhear NPC's (such as biships and priests) talking to eachother about how "the end has come".

EDIT: As good practice, I have trained my self to assess something that is widley overlooked by most developers... human nature. That is something that a lot of designers don't calculate in, and the result is, they get a game that SHOULD be great.
---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
Quote: Original post by Anthony Serrano

Yes, but you just kind of fought your own point. The names are a very key element to any religious belief. Seriously, take almost any religion, swap some words and names out, and it's a little hard to tell the differnece between the 2. If you ever break down the plot of the first Matrix, Neo's life pretty much follows the same path as jesus.

Idk whether this was intentional or not, but not many people actually realized it. Maybe it had something to do with why the first one was so succesful... that was untill the next 2 came out ~_~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement