🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Random story generation?

Started by
0 comments, last by Karnot 16 years, 11 months ago
Ok, so ive got this idea: I want to make a RPG type game that keeps a history of pretty much everything, from the biggest battles to the details of a tree thats grown old and about to fall over. I also want to make the world randomly generated upon install/user request/whatever, so you can see how writing a background story for everything is kind of impossible. I was thinking the game would record various statistics for items and npcs: likes, dislikes, place of birth, fav. color, and so on, and bump these ageist a set of rules for english, and output it to the user. I know getting it even close to correct, grammar wise, will take ALOT of effort, but i think its do-able. Im big into Tolkien, and was thinking of analyzing his work to come up with some type of formula that I could apply to the game to give it that LoTR touch. Comments?
Advertisement
Its been done in roguelikes. Extensive world and history generation is present in Dwarf Fortress, and random story generation in Gear Head.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement