🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Going with the flow

Started by
4 comments, last by blah900 16 years, 11 months ago
I have been thinking for a bit. I was thinking, instead of trying to go against the flow by avoiding cliches, why not use them? Maybe I can spin into something decent to maybe grab even the slightest of interests? Here is my idea, and some plot that I dumbed down a bit to. http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=204494 I know it's long, so if you even took a look at it, I thank you. So what I want to know is, do you think people will actually think of it as a stroy that might be able to grab some interst? I know it's full of cliches and many things you have already seen, and I know it's not the greatest of stories but please comment ^^. Thank you.
Advertisement
For some reason I cannot download the document from wikiupload. Is there any other location I could find this?

Perhaps you could e-mail it to me? PM if that's an option, I really would like to read it.
Really? Did you look on the right hand side of the webpage? There is a download button in the middle. Or is it that you cannot access the webpage at all?
Got it. Thanks.

I think this would be an interesting take, by actually trying to use clichés, instead of using them and claiming that you are original anyways.

If you actually want to do it, you need to change the focus. I would suggest that you make it a point to point out the clichés. You have to stuff so many of them in there, and make it amusing. IMO, a game like this could only work if it was humorously making light of just how many clichés there are.

I would recommend this site:

http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

and pick a wide selection of the clichés there.

The document mentions quite a bit about souls and soul corrupting/cleansing. This is not a standard cliché, and it actually stands out to me as being a little bit original. If you want to take the all-cliché approach, you could do this, but with a different direction - For example: the corrupted souls are the ones who have been corrupted by clichés. You have to reclaim them from the forces of blandness.

Just a game making fun of clichés would be enjoyable, but I think another level can be added:

Make the protagonists use innovative and exiting new mechanics, and slowly return the world to its state of originality. Destroy the cliché generators that the Evil Emperor has placed or something.

-Humblest of Hobos
for the game Idea above... I belive I have a revision ^.^

A mad scientist has created a cleche generator and you are a part of a special task force sent into destory it. You manage to get in the lab only to find out that the machine is actually a portal that takes it's cleches from a parallel universe. By tragic mission accident, you go MIA...

Then you wake up in a new world only to realize you've been sucked into that universe.

You wake up only to find you were unconcious next to a bomb with a REALLY easily opened wire panel! You defust the bomb when the timer hits 00.01 and a russian woman in a black lether suit and a rediculos amount of lipstick speaks to you in a sexy voice about how you saved the world from destruction!

She is takenhostage by the bad guy and you are forced to fight him on the top of a building where you each hang onto the sides almost ready to fall! Then you find yourself hanging onto the bad guy's legs only to realize that he's your father! You do a flying drop kick in the gut to knock him out and save the russian lady, and start to walk away! BUT OMG! the bad guy starts to stand up again and pulls a gun that some reason he didn't use the entire fight!

You quickly swing around and smack em in the face and it kills em this time! Then the russian lady makes a sexual referance and the scene fade to black with a kiss....

but the scene fades in and shows the bad guys face as he opens his eyes!!!

do I need more cleches?

---------------------------------------- There's a steering wheel in my pants and it's drivin me nuts
lol... it was just an example for an RPG game... since RPG games of types like the mentioned above alwayss seems to follow these cliches...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement