🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Horror games (still fun or getting old)

Started by
4 comments, last by Graffiti Writer 16 years, 10 months ago
After reading a few posts from gamedev about horror games, it presented me with a question that I find some what interesting. Taking into account all the horror games made today by the various game companies, I am just wondering if the horror / survival game is still in demand. Basically I am asking the people at this site to give me their opinions about this. So the question is this. Are horror games still fun to play or are the gamers of the world getting tired of them? In my opinion I would like to see more Survial Horror games because they present the gamer with situations that normally don't happen. For example the zombies in (Resident Evil) who scour the city in search of flesh to consume.Or like Silent Hill, where the town is pretty much devoid of human occupation. And only creatures pretty much control the game. Seeing how I am not the only gamer of this world, I would like to get other gamers opinions. I am just curious as to how many horror survival fans are out there and are they hoping for more games to be released in that Genre? That is all I can think of at this moment.
Advertisement
I don't suppose my opinion has much weight, as I never found horror games fun to play. It's just me, but I like to have fun, not be horrified.

-Hobo
Resident Evil 4 sold more than 3 millions copies worldwide (PC/PS2/GC/Wii). So I'd say this is a good answer for your question.
I've got balls of steel - Duke
I'd have to agree with Bruce. The Resident Evil and Silent Hill series shows that horror games are still popular. Everyone loves to shoot zombies. That's just a fact of life.
I had lot of fun and not fun while played some horror games such as resident evil at middle of night :D
But nowadays I don't really play much games, mostly create them.
What the h*ll are you?
I think any genre gets tired when companies trade in their imagination for want of another clone. I think that happened to some degree with survival horror, but it only takes one game to do something fresh within the genre to revitalise it.
I love these games (in principle) , although I got a little jaded with them. Hopefully someone will make an effort to breath new... death into this kind of title soon. BioShock made a pretty good effort to do so, but I kinda thought the gameplay was lacking a little. Story was amazing, though.

GRAFFITI WRITER: Irrational Voice of the Damnedwww.graffitiwriter.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement