🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

conspiracies in horror games

Started by
7 comments, last by Rusty Knight X 16 years, 10 months ago
Lately I been thinking alot about horror games and conspiracy theories. Example: Resident Evil uses a conspiracy theory. Think of all that the Umbrella corporation have done to the people of Raccoon city and a few other places. In my opinion I am starting to get tired of horror games as well as other game genres who use this conspiracy theory. If you think about it, it has been done to death from movies to games to books and so on. My question is this. Do you think that horror games and the like have went way overboard with the conspiracys? And you do you think that newer games should not use a conspiracy theory as part of their story line? In all fairness I believe they have been done to death. Newer horror games as well as other genres need to get away from this kind of thing. I am interested in what you my fellow gamers think and feel about this situation. If you're wondering why I am asking this question heres the thing behind the question. See I am writing a horror game and not using a conspiracy theory. I am trying something else instead. But the thing is one minute I want to use a conspiracy theory but then again I don't. All because it has been done before. But now that I got some other possible leads, the whole conspiracy thing seems kind of usesless. Regardless, I am still very intwerested to know what you other gamers think and feel. I would appreciate any feedback you can give. To those who answer this post thank you and to those who don't thank you for at least reading this post. Edit: spelling of thread title was annoying me so I fixed it [Edited by - sunandshadow on September 10, 2007 8:08:55 PM]
Advertisement
Fear is in the anticipation of something bad going to happen. The fear can come from the suggestion of something more sinister beneath the surface. Conspiracy is one way to bring this fear. You don't need to use conspiracy. You can just focus on the suggestions of violence, death, or any situation that you make the player fear without hating the game.

I don't think that newer games should avoid conspiracy in the storyline. If it is still scary then it works ! I guess games should avoid conspiracies that no longer scare anyone.
I can understand why conspiracy theories are often used in horror games, but that's also usually when the plot loses steam. For the Resident Evil games, the plots just got muddled and messy whenever the true culprits are revealed.

Just because most conspiracy theory games have plots weaker than Nicole Richie doesn't mean they shouldn't ever be attempted. It's just that if you are wondering whether or not to include one, make sure it serves your purpose.

Are you trying to give the game a "Lovecraft" feel, like there is a hidden layer beneath everyday things. Is the player supposed to wander through the game, never completely sure of his danger, but aware of its presence. So, just make sure that if you include a conspiracy theory, it's to serve the purpose of the narrative, and not just to make the plot look cooler.
in all honesty i cannot think of many games that don't have some sort of conspiracy theory at their heart. If you can do it well, i would be amazed. Virtually every game has the player have a revelation of some sort, and the easiest way to do it is a conspiracy. evil governments. human mutation projects. science gone evil, convoluted family trees etc. etc.
but that would be pretty cool if you could pull off a playable game (especially a horror one) without a conspiracy theory.
It is easy to do without a conspiracy. Just reveal the plan of the villain up front. The villain can say, "I am going to kill everyone that you know." No conspiracy. The scary part is that he tells you who he will kill next but you don't know how the villain is going to do it.
Quote: Original post by bruce3472
Lately I been thinking alot about horror games and conspiracy theories. Example: Resident Evil uses a conspiracy theory. Think of all that the Umbrella corporation have done to the people of Raccoon city and a few other places.

What conspiracy theory does Resident Evil use?

That a big powerful company is doing nasty things to people?

Sorry, that isn't a conspiricy theory...Its a cliche.

I think he meant wesker and Barry being evil and them being purposely lead to the mansion to test the power of the bioweapons
Conspiracies can be too complex, in my opinion. You're right that more and more genres are using them, but I think it takes a lot of careful planning to pull one off without it detracting from the plot too much. They're best left to thrillers, and a lot of stories these days almost seem to resort to them for a way to inject a kind of false tension.

The good thing about horror is it can be incredibly inventive, yet very simple; all while reamining true to its genre. The reasons for the events in the story can be anything, but the main character needs no more motivation than to survive - and that can be any kind of character in any environment. That's why I like the game term "survival horror" so much. They should use that s a movie genre, too. A very concise description of what should happen in good horror entertainment :-D

Horrors just don't need conspiracies if they're well written, I don't think.
GRAFFITI WRITER: Irrational Voice of the Damnedwww.graffitiwriter.co.uk
A conspiracy in a horror game makes the horror of the game that much more realistic in a characteristic sense.

A MAGICAL virus that turns people into zombies just seems ridiculous. Oh what's that? Oh some evil corporation CREATED that virus. OH snap, what if that were to happen in real life?

Now it kinda creeps people out that something like that was explained so well. But I too, would like to see a horror game that had no real explanation. Which is why I hope "Dead Space" isn't some cover up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement