🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E6]Discuss Element: Explosions

Started by
9 comments, last by cyansoft 16 years, 9 months ago
On first glance this is the easy element. But the game should actually use the elements and to me that means more than just having pretty explosions - they should in some way be a part of the game itself. For instance the way barrels explode Doom or you can use rocket jumping in Quake seem to fit this. Pretty shader explosions that don't actually do anything seem a little weak. Any thoughts or other interpretations on this one?
Advertisement
Explosions is easy. Very few games don't have an explosion of some kind. The real test will be implementing it in an original way.
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Three of the elements are objects, the fourth element is explosions, and explosions do shatter objects. So it can be interpreted as a way of binding the other elements together.

Exploding crystals may shatter them into pieces, which might affect accountants since they're interested in values, and crystals are valuable... Right? [wink]

That's just a random example, but that's about how I would interpret it.
There are types of explosions that are not (immediately) destructive... population explosions, for example. Or explosions of creative energy. It is easier to use "explosion" as a metaphor than "pony".

Just sayin'
Quote: Original post by shotgunnutter
Explosions is easy. Very few games don't have an explosion of some kind. The real test will be implementing it in an original way.

Well said. I hadn't even thought o about this.

Also, explosions don't necessarily have to be big, firey deals.

Quote: From Wikipedia
An explosion is a sudden increase in volume and release of energy in an extreme manner, usually with the generation of high temperatures and the release of gases.
"It is not enough to merely faces one's fears. One must run screaming toward them,"
Ponies
Hmmm... The juxtaposition of cute furry horsies and explosions is bringing out the real me...

Chaotic...Personality...Tingling....

must..blow..up..cute..furry..HORSIE!

KABOOM

Damn. I did it again. Shouldn't have put on the cursed amulet of blowing up cute furry animals.
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Quote: Original post by Tesseract
There are types of explosions that are not (immediately) destructive... population explosions, for example. Or explosions of creative energy. It is easier to use "explosion" as a metaphor than "pony".

Oooohh, that is good... Very interesting indeed.

My first thought of explosions, also, was just kaboom, although there could be some more depth in this one. Although I agree in saying that the explosions should be a part of the game, ie. without them your goal cannot be achieved. See in Doom or Quake or whatever you can finish the game without a single explosion (hard to avoid and it's just so damned cool to see shit blowin' up!), but I think for this contest that you must use explosions in some way as a means to an end.

Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
I think that by far, this is the most interesting element of the set. I mean that much in the way we are talking here, since I don't want to settle for 'explosions that hurt' which seem far to common place in gaming. The rest of this post is just some thought-out opinion.

Since explosions are such a visceral event, they need to play prominently in any game they are included in. I'm going to place them at the very core of my game, the reproduction cycle seed-showering explosion of the crystal hive is the cornerstone for development in Snowfall on Ganymede. At least, as it stands right now. :)
Hmmm... makes me wish I was taking part in this. I think it would be fun combining explosions with my work on Fully Destructible Environments. But I don't think I'm going to get that technology mature enough to put it in a game by April. Maybe look at Ken Silverman's Stuff?. Or GeoMod? All these things would go well with explosions!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement