🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Chepakwik Folklore

Started by
3 comments, last by Limdallion 16 years, 9 months ago
A shackled and hanging husk of a dead god rots in the bowels of the Earth – weak as he may be, Xaot Chelpok lingers. Chepakwik Folklore When the Earth was still pristine and pure, the Elders of these lands shared a deep communion with the planet. In tune with the primordial frequencies of the universe, the Elders bore a god from the cosmic union of Earth, Moon, and Sun. Xaot Chelpok, the Pure One, with his life-giving blood, tended his worshipers and purified the lands. With one-thousand eyes, the primordial god harkened unto their wishes and basked in the unsullied ecstasy of nature. But, after many eons, the Hollow God’s harmony was disrupted by the desecration of the outsiders who came on great ships baring the flags of their nations. Their flesh brought pestilence and disease. Their machines polluted the communion with nature. And their foreign God scalded the flesh of the Pure One. Their very presence was a corruption to the Pure One, who grew sick, twisted, and foul. What was once pure and blissful became putrid and depraved. The loathsome god bid vengeance, and his followers fought bravely but the tainted god’s wrath could no longer be satiated. We, the Chepakwik, could not hinder the growing influence of the White Man. Our wisest finally lay down their arms and accepted the inevitable loss of the Old Ways, and we followed. But this only served to enrage and exacerbate the intensifying madness the spoilt god. Abhorrent and foul, Xaot Chelpok bore his fangs at all mortals, outsiders and followers alike. The insane and perverted god struck blindly with his rage and anguish. There was no quenching his thirst for despair, and our people suffered as he did. There was no choice. The Chepakwik were forced to turn against their own god; who had once bathed blissfully from the pristine lifestreams of the Earth, but now thrashed wildly in horror and agony. Unable to die, the soul of the immortal god was bonded to the soul of a mortal. The Chepakwik priests conducted a forbidden and unspoken ritual which tied the soul of the Pure One to that of a young Chepakwik priestess, whose soul was merely mortal and predisposed to the inevitability of death. The priestess was chosen as the sacrifice who would die with the god bound to her, killing the immortal one as well. But, for all their wisdom, the Chepakwik were too compassionate, and in their weakness allowed the priestess to live until the time of her natural death. But she was eventually taken by a foreigner as his bride, and through her female descendents, the seed of the dead god continued to be passed from generation to generation. Although dead and decayed, the will of the Withered God lingered; his essence surviving in the offspring of the Chepakwik priestess for hundreds of years. A shackled and hanging husk of a dead god rots in the bowels of the Earth – weak as he may be, Xaot Chelpok lingers. Creeping into the dreams of those who dwell on his sacred lands, the Hollow God guides the cult of The Lingering into fanatical worship. Led by the Oracle, this secret cult has survived at the edges of history in the Americas since the earliest days of colonization. Meanwhile, the cursed descendents who hold the essence of the god share the curse of Wendigo the beast, the manifestation of the dead god’s rage. This transformation may unknowingly grip the maidens if their presence nears the Corpse. These stories are passed on orally by Chepakwik sages. It is forbidden to share them outside of the tribe.
Advertisement
That sounds like a very fun and interesting premise to start a game on, a great back story. Where do you think you will go with it?
Thanks. A couple weeks ago, I had this idea for a game that was basically a horror game set at a summer camp. It was something like "Bully" meets "Silent Hill". I didn't think I would have time to make such a game with all my other projects, but I was so into the idea I couldn't help but tinker around with it. I wrote up this background mythology for fun and I liked it so much I decided to post it here.
What origin do the names come from. they sound indian or native american.
Quote: Original post by Spylogo
What origin do the names come from. they sound indian or native american.

The Chepakwik are a fictional native american tribe, so yes. But it's entirely made up without any actual indian linguistic basis.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement